1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Det of a matrix

1. Aug 9, 2005 #1
    could someone please explain simply how to get the determinate of a 3 * 3 matrix i'm relly stuck i've looked through my text books but it only has examples of how to do it useing a grapgics calculator thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2005 #2
    you break it up into three 2x2 determinents!

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Determinant.html

look at the first line of eqt. 27

4. Aug 9, 2005 #3

TD

Homework Helper

You could do that, or use some properties first to create 0's and then develop to a row or column. There's also a direct way, but it's a bit 'long':

[tex]\begin{gathered}
    A = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {a_{11} } & {a_{12} } & {a_{13} } \\
    {a_{21} } & {a_{22} } & {a_{23} } \\
    {a_{31} } & {a_{32} } & {a_{33} } \\
    \end{array} } \right) \Rightarrow \det \left( A \right) = \left| {\begin{array}{*{20}c}
    {a_{11} } & {a_{12} } & {a_{13} } \\
    {a_{21} } & {a_{22} } & {a_{23} } \\
    {a_{31} } & {a_{32} } & {a_{33} } \\
    \end{array} } \right| \hfill \\ \\
    = a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,3} + a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1} + a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,1} -
    a_{1,3}\cdot{a}_{2,2}\cdot{a}_{3,1} - a_{1,1}\cdot{a}_{2,3}\cdot{a}_{3,2} - a_{1,2}\cdot{a}_{2,1}\cdot{a}_{3,3} \hfill \\
    \end{gathered} [/tex]

5. Aug 9, 2005 #4
    form Spunky_Dunkey

thanks very much :smile:

6. Aug 9, 2005 #5

oh, right. that crap.

:tongue:

my calc III prof went over that, mainly as a curiosity. i've used expansion by minors exclusively.

whatever's easiest to you!

7. Aug 10, 2005 #6

TD

Homework Helper

I usually expand by minors too, but not before I simplified it first using elementary operations. Having to expand it 'in full' is long too hehe :wink:

8. Aug 10, 2005 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If you row-reduce the matrix to triangular form, finding the determinant is just multiplying the numbers on the diagonal.

9. Aug 10, 2005 #8
    that's a really good idea. would have really come in handy when i was in 11th grade. :frown: (we had the occasional 4x4 determinant! :yuck: )

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?