1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Det(tA) = Det(A)

1. Dec 9, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Prove that the determinant of a unitary matrix is +/-1

2. Relevant equations
    <Av,Aw>=<v,w>
    Det(AB)=Det(A)*Det(B)

3. The attempt at a solution
    Alright, I am aware that <Av,Aw>=<v,w> => A(tA)=I and (tA)A=I so Det(A(tA))=Det(I)=1 thus
    Det(A)*Det(tA)=1. However, this is where I am stuck, I am aware that in some cases Det(tA)=Det(A), however this is not obvious in this case, as I cannot take tA to be the elementary defintion of switching rows and columns. How can I prove that Det(tA)=Det(A) ONLY from the fact that <Aw,v>=<w,(tA)v>. This inner product can be absolutely any symmetric bilinear form, so do not assume I mean the dot product.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 9, 2009 #2
    Re: Det(tA)=Det(A)

I guess it should be |det(A)|=1, rather than det(A)=+/-1.

4. Dec 9, 2009 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are trying to prove that the determinant of a unitary matrix is +/-1 then you MUST mean REAL unitary. It's not true for complex unitary. That means your tA is really just a plain old transpose.

5. Dec 9, 2009 #4

Even for some random inner product, I think this is what I don't understand, why must it be the normal transpose for any completely random product, it only seems true for R^n with the standard dot product. Like for example, taking the space to be the space to be Pn(X) and <,> to be the integral of f*g.

6. Dec 9, 2009 #5

Thank you for your responses, I think I have proved that for real unitary matrices, the transpose really is just the transpose. here is my proof if anyone can check or is interested.

Lemma: If U is unitary real, then it commutes with the matrix rep. of a nondegenerate bilinear form.
    Pf: Let U be unitary, and let B be a nondegenerate bilinear form. Then

B(Uw,UV)=t(Uw)B'(Uv) for some matrix representation of B

so (tw*tU)B'(Uv)=(tw)*(tU*B'*U)*(v)

on the other hand B(Uw,Uv)=B(w,v), thus (tU*B'*U)=B',

however, since U is unitary, tU=U^-1, so (U^-1)*B'*U=B' and thus multiplying both sides by U, B'*U=U*B'. Thus U commutes with B'.

So If B is a symmetric bilinear form, tU really does equal the transpose.

Pf: Consider B(Uw,v)=B(v,Uw)=(tv)B'(Uw)=(tv)(B'U)w=(tv)(UB')w=t(tU*v)B'w=B((tU)v,w).

Sorry about the horrible notation due to my not using latex. Again, thank you Dick for pointing me towards this proof.

7. Dec 9, 2009 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ok, you're welcome! Glad you convinced yourself. I would conceptualize it by picking an orthonormal basis for the form using Gram-Schmidt, so <ei,ej>=delta_ij. So the matrix of U is U_ij=<ei,Uej>. So tU_ij=<ei,tUej>=<Uei,ej>=<ej,Uei>=U_ji. Or did I get my indices backwards? Doesn't matter, you get my point, right? So in the complex case it's pretty obvious the adjoint is the conjugate transpose.

8. Dec 9, 2009 #7

Yes, I think this revealed a lot to me. I think that I was just being very cautious, because the notation was very suggestive, and so I went into some sort of lockdown mode. I do like the way of conceptualizing this that you presented, and now I do understand that in the complex case it is conjugate transpose, so thank you much.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook