Detect Gravitational Waves with LISA

In summary: Overall, LISA has the potential to greatly advance our understanding of gravity and the universe. In summary, LISA is a space experiment that will measure gravitational waves using satellites and laser interferometry. It is not possible to recreate Faraday's experiment with the moon, but LISA has the potential to provide precise gravity measurements and advance our understanding of the universe.
Wave's_Hand_Particle
The LISA experimental setup is going to measure, or try and detect Gravitational Waves:http://lisa.jpl.nasa.gov/TECHNOLOGY/challenges.html

I have been thinking about an experiment that Farady done in the RI lecture of some years ago, I recall a picture of Farady dropping cannonballs from the RI roof and hoping to detect Gravity Waves, is it possible that LISA, can be configured in space, so that the path of the moon transverse's through the centre of the three laser-crafts, and thus detect the Moons Gravitational Signal?

What I am asking is it possible to recreate Faraday's Experiment using the moon instead of cannonballs?

I have another idea of a really precise 'gravity' measurment that LISA may be able to produce, but Iam a little cagey on some minor details, I am going to spend some time after the hols investigating the whole project, in the meantime I would like some knowledgeable feedback on the LISA experiment, happy holidays, if your still working?..congratulations!

Last edited by a moderator:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, it is not possible to recreate Faraday's experiment using the moon instead of cannonballs, as the gravitational signal from the moon would be too weak to detect. However, LISA will be able to measure gravitational waves, as it is designed to detect ripples in spacetime caused by massive cosmic objects, such as black holes and neutron stars. LISA will be composed of three satellites that form an equilateral triangle in space, along with a central spacecraft at the center of the triangle. The laser interferometry between the satellites and the central spacecraft will measure small changes in the distance between them, which can be used to detect gravitational waves. Additionally, LISA will measure the polarization of the gravitational wave, which could allow scientists to further understand the properties of the source of the wave.

1. What are gravitational waves?

Gravitational waves are ripples in the fabric of space-time caused by the acceleration of massive objects, such as black holes or neutron stars.

2. What is LISA?

LISA (Laser Interferometer Space Antenna) is a planned space-based gravitational wave observatory consisting of three spacecraft arranged in a triangular formation, intended to detect and study gravitational waves with high precision.

3. How will LISA detect gravitational waves?

LISA will use laser interferometry to measure tiny changes in the distance between the three spacecraft caused by passing gravitational waves. The spacecraft will be able to detect changes on the scale of one billionth of a billionth of a meter.

4. What kind of information can we learn from detecting gravitational waves with LISA?

Detecting gravitational waves with LISA can provide valuable information about the nature of black holes, neutron stars, and other massive objects. It can also help us better understand the origins of the universe and test Einstein's theory of general relativity.

5. When will LISA be operational?

LISA is expected to launch in 2034 and will have a mission lifetime of at least five years. However, data collection is expected to begin as early as 2030, as the spacecraft will need time to reach their designated orbits and calibrate their instruments before beginning observations.