1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detect gravitons at an accelerator

1. Mar 4, 2008 #1
    my project is about the search for the graviton, i know we are using particle accelerators to try to find out about them however we cannot detect them still, but we can prove they exist, i am having trouble explaining what is actually being done to detect them in any kind of detail. and the implications of this? or possible theory's to explain why we cant find them please help.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2008 #2
    gravitons, the search for

my project is about the search for the graviton, i know we are using particle accelerators to try to find out about them however we cannot detect them still, but we can prove they exist, i am having trouble explaining what is actually being done to detect them in any kind of detail. and the implications of this? or possible theory's to explain why we cant find them please help.

4. Mar 4, 2008 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No one is making a serious attempt to detect gravitons at an accelerator or anywhere else. They are the quantum of an EXTREMELY weak force that we don't even know how to quantize. The prospect of detecting them individually, like we do photons is extremely dim. There speculative ideas that funny things may happen with gravity at the TeV scale and the LHC may spit out mini black holes, But those notions are, well, speculative. There is a serious effort to detect classical gravity waves with experiments like LIGO and VIRGO. Look those up. That would be much more fertile ground for your project.

5. Mar 4, 2008 #4

cristo

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

What "project" would this be? I presume this isn't a project that you've been set in, say, school or university?

6. Mar 4, 2008 #5
    Oh crap I just realised she was talking about the graviton. Ignore my post. :rofl: I just presumed that was what she meant without reading it too carefully. :rolleyes:

To be honest, looking for the Higgs Boson is more likely to provide fruitful atm, so I doubt anyone is going to put the cart before the horse.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?