Detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth

In summary: Anyway I should have noted the '1.what is solar radiation' in the link I posted to the original OP.It explains all the levels at sea and atmospheric level including UV and infra red.Was probably during the hurricane season LOL ... the summit was closed when I was there last year as well because of Hurricane Lane :frown:
CRuff
I am sure this will become a 'face-palm' moment, but can anyone point me in the direction of what electromagnetic energy wavelengths on either side of the visible spectrum, that is detectable on earth, ie what is not filtered by our atmosphere? I am specifically trying to find information on the wavelength spectrum of infrared light that hits the Earth's surface.
Thanks.

Science news on Phys.org
CRuff said:
I am sure this will become a 'face-palm' moment, but can anyone point me in the direction of what electromagnetic energy wavelengths on either side of the visible spectrum, that is detectable on earth, ie what is not filtered by our atmosphere? I am specifically trying to find information on the wavelength spectrum of infrared light that hits the Earth's surface.
Thanks.
A quick Google will give you info on this. About 50% of light that reaches the Earth's surface is infra red according to searches. I'm surprised by that, I would have thought longer wavelengths would be more readily absorbed by the atmosphere.

CRuff said:
Thanks.
Nice diagram
https://www.fondriest.com/environme.../weather/photosynthetically-active-radiation/

pinball1970 said:
I'm surprised by that, I would have thought longer wavelengths would be more readily absorbed by the atmosphere.
A lot of IR is absorbed by atmospheric moisture. That is why IR telescopes are built on very high mountain tops to get above most of the atmospheric water vapour ... eg. the one on top of Mauna Kea

from my visit there in 1999
nasa_infrared_scope.jpg

Likes pinball1970
The image below, from this site, shows where the Earth's atmosphere is transparent enough for observations. This site has more detail on what component of the Earth's atmosphere is doing the absorption in the IR.

spect002.gif

Likes davenn and russ_watters
davenn said:
A lot of IR is absorbed by atmospheric moisture. That is why IR telescopes are built on very high mountain tops to get above most of the atmospheric water vapour ... eg. the one on top of Mauna Kea

from my visit there in 1999
View attachment 245756
My son visited the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope in Hawaii last year but did not get the data he needed as it was clouded over for 10 days pretty much. Go to Hawaii and get Manchester weather...

Anyway I should have noted the '1.what is solar radiation' in the link I posted to the original OP.
It explains all the levels at sea and atmospheric level including UV and infra red.

pinball1970 said:
y son visited the James Clerk Maxwell Telescope in Hawaii last year but did not get the data he needed as it was clouded over for 10 days pretty much. Go to Hawaii and get Manchester weather...
Was probably during the hurricane season LOL ... the summit was closed when I was there last year as well because of Hurricane Lane :frown:

Likes pinball1970

1. What are detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth?

Detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth are the range of electromagnetic radiation that can be detected by the human eye. This includes wavelengths in the visible spectrum, which are the colors we can see, as well as wavelengths in the infrared and ultraviolet ranges.

2. How do we measure the detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth?

Scientists use instruments such as spectrophotometers and radiometers to measure the detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth. These instruments can detect and measure the intensity of light at different wavelengths, allowing us to determine the range of wavelengths that are present.

3. What factors affect the detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth?

There are several factors that can affect the detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth. These include the composition of the atmosphere, the angle of the sun's rays, and the presence of clouds or other particles in the air. Different materials also reflect and absorb different wavelengths of light, so the surface of the Earth can also impact the detectable wavelengths.

4. How do detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth impact our daily lives?

Detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth play a crucial role in our daily lives. The visible spectrum allows us to see and perceive our surroundings, while infrared and ultraviolet light have important applications in fields such as medicine, agriculture, and technology. Understanding and measuring these wavelengths also helps us track and monitor changes in our environment.

5. How do scientists use detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth in their research?

Scientists use detectable wavelengths of light at the surface of the Earth in a variety of research fields. For example, astronomers use infrared and ultraviolet light to study distant objects in the universe, while biologists use visible light to study the colors and patterns of plants and animals. Environmental scientists also use these wavelengths to monitor changes in the Earth's climate and ecosystems.