Detecting Gravity Waves: An Exploration of Using Them for Communication

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of using gravity waves as a form of communication and wonders how these waves could be detected. It is noted that while this is possible, it is not currently feasible due to the difficulty in generating and detecting these waves. The analogy of marbles on a rubber sheet is used to explain the concept of matter on spacetime, and it is suggested that passing gravity waves could potentially affect the probability of particles tunneling through a wall. However, due to the weakness of gravitational waves and the sensitivity of tunneling to distances, it is unlikely that this would have a significant impact.
hddd123456789
Just watched Intersteller and my mind started running wild with all sort of fun thoughts. So I'm not sure how serious of a questions this is, but I got to thinking if it's possible to use gravity waves as a form of communication. And in turn, started wondering how said waves could be detected.

The way I think of matter on spacetime is like that usual analogy of marbles on a rubber sheet. And I think of phenomena like quantum tunneling as marbles bouncing over each other when hit hard enough, like billiard balls bouncing off a pool table if hit too hard at an odd angle. This would be made easier, I would think, if the surface on which the marbles/billiard balls are rolling were not perfectly flat, but perturbed in some way.

So I was wondering if passing gravity waves could have an affect on the probability of a particle crossing/"tunneling through" a wall. I mean if you had an isolated container at constant temperature/pressure with a thin wall on one side opposite a detector, is it possible that the number of particles that hit the detector on the other side could be affected by passing gravity waves?

Physics news on Phys.org
hddd123456789 said:
Just watched Intersteller and my mind started running wild with all sort of fun thoughts. So I'm not sure how serious of a questions this is, but I got to thinking if it's possible to use gravity waves as a form of communication. And in turn, started wondering how said waves could be detected.
Possible, yes. But it is much bigger problem how to generate them :D

It's not really feasible, not at this time at least. Gravitational waves cause a change in the distances between objects, with the amount of change dependent upon both the amplitude of the wave and the distance between one object and another. Since gravitational waves are absurdly weak, it generally requires placing two objects a long distance apart to detect the waves. LIGO, a gravitational wave observatory, uses an interferometer consisting of two arms, each 4 km long, yet it hasn't been able to conclusively detect gravitational waves so far. Even with 4km long arms a passing gravitational wave generated from an astronomical source will only change the distance between the arms by about 10-18 meters (A proton is about 10-15 meters in radius).

As far as I know, tunneling is extremely sensitive to distances in the range of 10-12 meters.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational-wave_observatory

1. How do gravity waves differ from electromagnetic waves?

Gravity waves are a type of wave that is created by changes in the curvature of spacetime, whereas electromagnetic waves are created by the oscillations of electric and magnetic fields. Gravity waves can travel through any medium, while electromagnetic waves require a medium such as air or water to propagate.

2. How can gravity waves be used for communication?

Gravity waves have the potential to carry information in the form of variations in their frequency, amplitude, and phase. By modulating these properties, we can encode information and transmit it through gravity waves. However, this technology is still in the early stages of development and more research is needed to make it viable for communication.

3. What are the challenges of detecting gravity waves?

Gravity waves are extremely weak and are easily disrupted by external factors such as seismic activity or atmospheric disturbances. This makes it challenging to detect and accurately measure them. Additionally, the equipment and technology required for detecting gravity waves are highly complex and expensive.

4. Can gravity waves be detected from any point in space?

Yes, gravity waves can be detected from any point in space as they travel through the fabric of spacetime. However, the further away the source of the gravity waves is, the weaker the signal will be by the time it reaches us. This makes it more difficult to detect and decipher the information carried by the gravity waves.

5. What are some potential applications of using gravity waves for communication?

If we are able to successfully use gravity waves for communication, it could have a wide range of applications. For example, it could be used for long-distance communication in space, where traditional forms of communication may not be feasible. It could also potentially be used for more secure communication, as gravity waves are not easily detectable or intercepted. Additionally, it could open up new possibilities for studying the universe and understanding the nature of gravity.