Are BEC vortex lattices individual atoms?

In summary, the conversation discusses vortex lattices in Bose-Einstein condensates (BEC) and whether individual atoms can be observed in this state. The paper linked mentions that the vortex lattices are magnetic fluxes and cannot be observed as individual atoms. However, other sources and images suggest that individual atoms can be detected in BEC states, contradicting this statement. Further research may be needed to fully understand the detection of individual atoms in BEC states.
Rev. Cheeseman
Can anyone tell me what are those vortex lattices in Bose-Einstein condensates (BEC)? Images of these vortex lattices in BEC can be seen here http://www.iap.tu-darmstadt.de/fileadmin/apq/apq_teaching/apq_teaching_ws1213/GESPERRT_moderne_optik/Ketterle_Vortex_Lattices_Science.pdf. Are those individual particles or what? Some people told me that atoms cannot be observed when they are in BEC state but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
wonderingchicken said:
Some people told me
Stop it, please.

You know "some people told me" is not an acceptable reference here.

wonderingchicken said:
Are those individual particles or what?
Or what? What do you means by "particle"? Like "a particle or dust"? They certainly are not individual atoms, since the paper comes right ouit and says they aren't.

Vanadium 50 said:
Stop it, please.

You know "some people told me" is not an acceptable reference here.Or what? What do you means by "particle"? Like "a particle or dust"? They certainly are not individual atoms, since the paper comes right ouit and says they aren't.
I just read the link, and it said the vortex lattices are magnetic fluxes. Sorry for asking without reading the link first. But another question, is it possible to detect individual atoms while they are all in BEC state?

According to this article https://www.livescience.com/54667-bose-einstein-condensate.html, it said "What the two found was that ordinarily, atoms have to have certain energies — in fact one of the fundamentals of quantum mechanics is that the energy of an atom or other subatomic particle can't be arbitrary. This is why electrons, for example, have discrete "orbitals" that they have to occupy, and why they give off photons of specific wavelengths when they drop from one orbital, or energy level, to another. But cool the atoms to within billionths of a degree of absolute zero and some atoms begin to fall into the same energy level, becoming indistinguishable."

I think by indistinguishable, they mean the atoms in Bose-Einstein condensates (BEC) states can't be detected as individual atoms. Not sure but please tell me if they mean otherwise.

But in these images https://calderup.wordpress.com/2010/08/18/superatomic-circus/#more-1556 and https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Images-of-single-atoms-in-a-Rb-Bose-Einstein-condensate-trapped-in-an-optical-lattice_fig18_322735643 we can actually see individual atoms in BEC states. Are there any other images that show individual atoms in BEC states? If these images indeed show individual atoms in BEC states, that means it is actually possible to detect discrete individual atoms in BEC states.

1. What is a BEC vortex lattice?

A BEC vortex lattice is a pattern formed by the vortices in a Bose-Einstein condensate (BEC). A BEC is a state of matter where a group of atoms are cooled to near absolute zero, causing them to lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity. Vortices are regions of swirling flow within the BEC, and when multiple vortices are present, they can organize into a lattice-like structure.

2. How are BEC vortex lattices created?

BEC vortex lattices are created by using lasers to trap and cool a gas of atoms to extremely low temperatures. This causes the atoms to lose their individual identities and form a single entity, the BEC. By manipulating the lasers, scientists can induce vortices within the BEC, which can then organize into a lattice pattern.

3. Are BEC vortex lattices made up of individual atoms?

No, BEC vortex lattices are not made up of individual atoms. In a BEC, the atoms lose their individual identities and behave as a single entity, so the vortices within the lattice are not individual atoms, but rather regions of swirling flow within the BEC.

4. Can BEC vortex lattices be observed?

Yes, BEC vortex lattices can be observed using specialized imaging techniques. These techniques allow scientists to see the lattice pattern formed by the vortices within the BEC. However, since BECs are extremely fragile and sensitive to external factors, the observation of BEC vortex lattices requires precise experimental conditions.

5. What is the significance of studying BEC vortex lattices?

Studying BEC vortex lattices can provide insights into the behavior of matter at extremely low temperatures and in extreme conditions. This research can also have practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies for precision measurements and quantum computing.