Detecting visible light EM radiation with an antenna

In summary, if you want to construct a rectifying antenna to detect visible light, you need to be on the order of hundreds of nanometers in size.
quitequick
If visible light is part of the EM spectrum just like radio waves, is it possible to construct a radio like antenna (metal pronged structure) to detect them?

Science news on Phys.org
Actually yes, but the antenna needs to be REALLY REALLY tiny.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nantenna

The main problem is that the electric field oscillates so quickly that current electronics cannot operate fast enough to directly record the field.

Drakkith said:
Actually yes, but the antenna needs to be REALLY REALLY tiny.

By REALLY REALLY tiny, do you mean about the size of the photo receptors in our retina's?

About the size of the wavelength, some hundred nanometers (about 0.0000005 meters)
Our photo receptors are not classical antennas, and their active molecules are even smaller than the wavelength.

MikeGomez said:
By REALLY REALLY tiny, do you mean about the size of the photo receptors in our retina's?

From the wiki article I linked:

The wavelengths in the solar spectrum range from approximately 0.3-2.0 μm.[3] Thus, in order for a rectifying antenna to be an efficient electromagnetic collector in the solar spectrum, it needs to be on the order of hundreds of nm in size.

I don't know how large the molecules in our eyes are that actually detect the light, so I can't give you a comparison. The cells themselves are much larger than the wavelength, but only the molecule size matters I believe. Still, they aren't even antennas. They just absorb EM energy and change shape without determining any details about the light other than "Hey, I got a photon!".

That's right... see here

Ultimately, the absorption of a photon causes a bent molecule to straighten out. If this happens enough times within a short period and a very localized region (spatial/temporal summation), the net activity is enough to depolarize a membrane to originate a neural signal.

What is an antenna?

An antenna is a device that is used to transmit and receive electromagnetic waves. It is usually made of metal and is designed to capture and amplify specific frequencies of electromagnetic radiation.

How does an antenna detect visible light?

An antenna detects visible light by using special materials that can convert the light waves into electrical signals. These signals can then be amplified and processed by electronic devices.

What types of antennas are used to detect visible light?

The most common types of antennas used to detect visible light are dipole antennas, loop antennas, and log-periodic antennas. These antennas are designed to work with specific wavelengths of light.

Can an antenna detect all wavelengths of visible light?

No, an antenna can only detect specific wavelengths of visible light depending on its design and materials. Some antennas are designed to work with a broad range of wavelengths, while others are only sensitive to a narrow range.

How is an antenna used to study visible light in scientific research?

An antenna is used in scientific research to study visible light by capturing and measuring the intensity, frequency, and polarization of light waves. This data can then be analyzed to understand the properties and behavior of visible light.