Detecting Water Flow Through Pipe

• Thread starter ssmith579
  • Start date
I'm looking for a way to detect water flow through a pipe. For example, I want to detect when a toilet flushes or leaks. I'm looking for a way to detect this that doesn't require anything submerged in the tank or inserted into the water line. I really just want to know that water is flowing I don't care about flow rate. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Steve

Answers and Replies

The most reliable way would be to drill a tiny hole in the piping (PVC?) on the up side (away from the direction of gravity) and somehow tape a bag over top of the hole. The bag should inflate when there's flow. You could also just put a tire pressure gauge into the hole. Change in pressure would indicate flow. Just make sure both are secured so you don't cause a leak.

If the flow is constant you could check the pipe temperature. It should be a bit cooler than room temperature if it's house water. You could also check for any vibrations in the piping.

Not sure of your budget and other requirements, but you can use a "non-intrusive" flow switch based on the Doppler or Ultrasonic principle. Do an internet search for non intrusive flow switch and you will find many producs.

dlgoff
Science Advisor
Gold Member
The most reliable way would be to drill a tiny hole in the piping (PVC?) on the up side (away from the direction of gravity)

Wouldn't this cause it to flow all the time? :bugeye: