Detection of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs)

• Thread starter wolram
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detection
In summary: Your Name]In summary, authors Volker Bromm and Abraham Loeb discuss the potential detection of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) from redshifts z > 7 and the insights it could provide into the earliest epoch of cosmic star formation. They present separate star formation histories for normal (Pop I and II) stars and predominantly massive (Pop III) stars, and predict that a fraction of GRBs detected by the {\it Swift} mission could originate from rare massive galaxies enriched by heavy elements. They also discuss the potential contribution of Pop III progenitors to the observable GRB rate and the possibility of probing Pop III star formation at redshifts z > 10 through GRB detections. Overall, their paper presents a fascinating and important
wolram
Gold Member
Dearly Missed
http://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0509303

Authors: Volker Bromm, Abraham Loeb
Comments: 8 pages, 2 figures, submitted to ApJ

Detection of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) from redshifts z > 7 would open a new window into the earliest epoch of cosmic star formation. We construct separate star formation histories at high redshifts for normal (Pop I and II) stars, and for predominantly massive (Pop III) stars. Based on these separate histories, we predict the GRB redshift distribution to be observed by the {\it Swift} mission. Regardless of whether Pop III progenitors are able to trigger GRBs, we find that a fraction 10% of all bursts detected by {\it Swift} will originate at z > 5. This baseline contribution is due to Pop I/II star formation which must have extended out to high redshifts in rare massive galaxies that were enriched by heavy elements earlier than the typical galaxies. In addition, we consider the possible contribution of Pop III progenitors to the observable GRB rate. Pop III stars are viable progenitors for long-duration GRBs which are triggered by the collapsar mechanism, as long as they can lose their outer envelope through mass transfer to a companion star in a close binary. We find that the likelihood of Pop III binaries to satisfy the conditions required by the collapsar mechanism could be enhanced significantly relative to Pop I/II binaries. If Pop III binaries are common, {\it Swift} will be first observatory to probe Pop III star formation at redshifts z

Astronomy news on Phys.org
> 10 through the detection of GRBs.

Dear authors Volker Bromm and Abraham Loeb,

I am very intrigued by your paper on the potential detection of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) from redshifts z > 7. The idea of using GRBs to study the earliest epoch of cosmic star formation is very exciting and could provide valuable insights into the formation of the first stars in the universe.

I found your separate star formation histories for normal (Pop I and II) stars and predominantly massive (Pop III) stars to be very interesting. It is fascinating to think that a fraction of GRBs detected by the {\it Swift} mission could originate from such high redshifts due to Pop I/II star formation extending out to rare massive galaxies.

I am also intrigued by the potential contribution of Pop III progenitors to the observable GRB rate. The idea that Pop III stars could be viable progenitors for long-duration GRBs if they can lose their outer envelope through mass transfer in a close binary is very intriguing. It would be exciting to see if {\it Swift} can probe Pop III star formation at redshifts z > 10 through the detection of GRBs.

Overall, I believe your paper presents a very interesting and important topic in the field of astrophysics. I look forward to seeing future observations from {\it Swift} and other telescopes that could potentially confirm your predictions and provide even more insights into the early universe.

Thank you for your contribution to the field and for sharing your work with the scientific community.

1. What are gamma-ray bursts (GRBs)?

Gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) are extremely energetic explosions that occur in distant galaxies. They release a large amount of gamma-ray radiation, making them the brightest and most powerful events in the universe.

2. How are GRBs detected?

GRBs are detected using specialized telescopes, such as the Fermi Gamma-ray Space Telescope and the Swift Gamma-ray Burst Mission. These telescopes are designed to detect and measure the high-energy gamma rays emitted by GRBs.

3. What causes GRBs?

The exact cause of GRBs is still not fully understood, but they are believed to be the result of various cosmic events, such as the collapse of massive stars, the merging of neutron stars or black holes, or the formation of a black hole through supernova explosions.

4. Why are GRBs important in astrophysics?

GRBs are important in astrophysics because they provide valuable information about the early universe and the processes that govern the formation and evolution of galaxies. They also serve as powerful probes of extreme physical conditions, such as the production of high-energy particles and the behavior of matter under extreme gravity.

5. Can GRBs be dangerous to Earth?

No, GRBs are not a direct threat to Earth. They occur in distant galaxies and their energy is highly directional, meaning it is unlikely to intersect with our planet. However, if a GRB were to occur close enough to Earth, it could potentially have harmful effects on our atmosphere and electronics.