How can crevasses be detected in alpine solo tours?

• Thread starter Anton Alice
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Detection
In summary, the author is discussing how to identify crevasses, and how to predict them. Portable masers that can detect crevasses would be a great help, but they are not currently available. It is possible to predict them by eye, but it is not always possible. It is also possible to find a low-cost guided tour.
Anton Alice
Hello there,

I want to do a alpine solo tour at the beginning of april.
Crevasses, which are covert by snow are very insidious. This is why solo tours are more of a gambling game.
The basic idea is: Using a detector which can make a differentiation between a solid subsoil of ice, and a crevasse.

For example Satellites use radar signals, to measure the thickness of ice plateaus by use of reflection at material boundaries. In my case, I only want a binary information: Can I take a step or not?

Do you have an idea how that differentiation can be accomplished?
I mean there should always be some difference between the scan of a solid subsoil and of a hollow underground. The question is, how to make that difference maximally distinctive.Which kind of signal is most appropriate for that? Also radars?

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
You are exactly right that crevasses can be rather insidious. They are not really that difficult to identify or predict. Being well acquainted with snow and the formation of crevasses is also very helpful. If you have access to a typicall mountaineering group such as the Mountaineers or Mazamas they they would be more than to lead some trips for education. Alternatively one could study a book like "Freedom of the Hills."

What sort of trip are you planning? Radio and Radar type detection devices are much heavier than I would want to carry very far in the snow.

Ketch22 said:
Radio and Radar type detection devices are much heavier than I would want to carry very far in the snow.
Yes, that imagination was rather utopic. I planned a trip to Switzerland, Berner Oberland (the Eiger is also in that region).
For me as a student such a guided tour is not affordable. But I found another mountain (in that same region) which has a smaller (due to global warming), bypassable glacier. Still dangerous...
Nevertheless, its an interesting topic, and I will come back to that after the exams.
Ketch22 said:
They are not really that difficult to identify or predict.
With Portable masers (lasers at 500MHz) that would be a cakewalk, if they existed.
But I spoke to one of the persons, who wrote the paper, that @Nidum has posted, and he told me, that actually the detection is very unreliable, because the signal energy is so badly attenuated, and there are a lot of disturbing factors. What this research group has achieved, is to detect some crevasses, after passing them completely with the antennas. They show up in the radiogram as hyperbolas. Then this hyperbola has to be identified via image processing.

Predicting them by eye is sometimes impossible:

But if someone has a feeling for it, one certainly can predict the route of it with regard to the topology. For example, it is better to rest in a trough, than at a zenith, like the guy in the video did.

Anton, it is great to hear that a considered mind is prevailing. There is a possibly a few misunderstanding from my short post. The groups that I referred to are very low cost clubs. Also many schools have outdoor activity clubs that are part of the student union. It should not be very hard to locate one of these. The trips are ususally very economical and provide a good base exposure.
The Book is a very extent training book and is readily available online. Just search "Mountaineering, Freedom of the Hills"
With some study and a bit of exposure it is not too hard to start identifying crevasses. They are almost always in a pattern on the hills and are somewhat predictable. The challenging part is in understanding the structural characteristics of snow. Many ( if not most) of them are just walked over via the snow that is bridging the gap. Being able to identify a viable bridge made of snow is somewhat tricky. Again it is a much better place for supervised instruction.

Hope your trip comes together well. Anytime spent out on a tour like that is well worth it

What is the purpose of detecting hidden crevasses?

Detecting hidden crevasses is important for ensuring the safety of individuals and equipment on glacier surfaces. Crevasses are deep cracks or fissures in the ice that can be hidden under layers of snow, making them difficult to see and potentially dangerous for people or vehicles traveling on the ice surface. By detecting these hidden crevasses, scientists and explorers can avoid them and prevent accidents or damage to equipment.

How are hidden crevasses detected?

There are several methods for detecting hidden crevasses, including using ground-penetrating radar, laser altimetry, and infrared imaging. Ground-penetrating radar sends electromagnetic waves into the ice, which bounce back off of any crevasses or other features, allowing scientists to map the subsurface. Laser altimetry uses lasers to measure the distance between the ice surface and the ground, which can reveal any changes in the surface caused by crevasses. Infrared imaging can also be used to detect temperature differences in the ice, which may indicate the presence of crevasses.

Why is it important to detect hidden crevasses before traveling on a glacier?

Traveling on a glacier can be hazardous, especially if there are hidden crevasses that can catch people or vehicles by surprise. By detecting these crevasses beforehand, people can plan their route and avoid areas that may be dangerous. This can prevent accidents and save lives, as well as protect expensive equipment from damage.

What are some challenges associated with detecting hidden crevasses?

Detecting hidden crevasses can be challenging due to the harsh and remote environments where glaciers are located. This can make it difficult to access the area and set up equipment for detection. Additionally, the constantly changing nature of glaciers can make it hard to accurately map the location and extent of crevasses. Weather conditions, such as heavy snowfall or fog, can also make it difficult to detect crevasses using certain methods.

How can the detection of hidden crevasses be used for scientific research?

The detection of hidden crevasses can be used for scientific research in a variety of ways. By mapping the location and extent of crevasses, scientists can better understand the structure and movement of glaciers. This information can also be used to study climate change and its impact on glaciers. Additionally, the techniques used for detecting crevasses can be applied to other areas, such as studying the subsurface of other planets or moons in our solar system.