Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detection of Macroscopic Strings

1. Sep 5, 2004 #1
    If I have heard correctly, models of the early universe predict the existence of macroscopic strings brought about by the enormous initial expansion of the universe. A way of proving string theory correct - among others - would be observing such macroscopic strings. My question lies with how one might detect such a thing. Would it emit some sort of special radiation? I do not see how that could be since it is a fundamental constituent of matter, it could not possibly be divided any further to create this radiation in question. Then would they observe it by looking for its interactions with it and other objects? If so, what would such an interaction look like?

Terribly sorry if I have made any false assumptions, I am very new to this field.
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 6, 2004 #2
    If it did emit spacial radiation, I would expect its wavelength would be light years long.

What if dark matter pertains, in some way, to the existence of cosmic strings?
  4. Sep 6, 2004 #3

hmmm... interesting.
  5. Sep 6, 2004 #4
    I belive you are actaully able to visually see the enlarged strings, hence macroscopic. I remember hearing a quote from ed witten that pertained to how beautful it would be to prove string theory in this fashion.... with a telescope.
  6. Sep 6, 2004 #5
    part 1

source: http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2004-06/uocs-ndt061004.php
  7. Sep 6, 2004 #6
    part 2

same source
  8. Sep 6, 2004 #7
    The paradox comes, when you know that such a large telecope is really a Microscopic view of that same universe. Anything now, would only support the weak field measure we have of today.

So the vision is not only on the early universe, but of how we might scale this feature to today. You have to make some fundamental decisions here. You would have to leave LQG behind. :smile:

excellent information Tom. Thanks
    Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?