Detection of Neutral Currents

In summary, the neutral ##Z^0## boson acts as the mediator for weak force interactions in decay processes where no mixing between quark families is present. However, it cannot be directly observed due to its short lifetime and neutral charge. Its existence was indirectly confirmed through accelerator experiments, such as the Gargamelle experiment at CERN, where it was observed as a peak in the invariant mass distribution of decay products. Attempts to measure the Z mass through neutrino interactions have proven difficult due to the precision and energy requirements.
Wledig
In decay processes where no mixing between quark families is present, the mediator of the weak force is the neutral ##Z^0## boson. If that is the case, how is it experimentally possible to detect neutral currents in processes such as: $$\bar{\nu}_\mu + e \rightarrow \bar{\nu}_\mu + e$$ What trace could the neutral boson possibly leave in the detector?

Physics news on Phys.org
An electron shooting out from an atom.

Likes Orodruin
Wledig said:
In decay processes ... such as: $$\bar{\nu}_\mu + e \rightarrow \bar{\nu}_\mu + e$$
That is elastic scattering, not decay.

Vanadium 50 said:
An electron shooting out from an atom.
I had a vague idea of how things could work out, let me see if it's what you're suggesting. If we bombard an atom with muon antineutrinos we ought to observe electrons being scattered out of it, which would give an indirect confirmation for the existence of the ##Z^0## boson. Is that it? No hope for direct observation then, I believe? Or at least not in processes like this?

Orodruin said:
That is elastic scattering, not decay.

Sure. But the weak neutral boson is the mediator of the interaction, right? Or am I getting something wrong?

Wledig said:
I had a vague idea of how things could work out, let me see if it's what you're suggesting. If we bombard an atom with muon antineutrinos we ought to observe electrons being scattered out of it, which would give an indirect confirmation for the existence of the ##Z^0## boson. Is that it? No hope for direct observation then, I believe? Or at least not in processes like this?
Indirect confirmation of the existence of something like the Z and for the existence of neutrinos.
Sure. But the weak neutral boson is the mediator of the interaction, right? Or am I getting something wrong?
Yes, interaction is the right term. A decay needs to start with a single particle.

Wledig said:
Neutral currents were discovered in accelerator experiments, not through neutrino interactions. Being neutral, you will never really see Z interactions with a detector. It also has a very short lifetime. What you see in accelerators when you produce on-shell Zs is a peak in the invariant mass distribution of the decay products.

Likes Wledig
Orodruin said:
What you see in accelerators when you produce on-shell Zs is a peak in the invariant mass distribution of the decay products.
That's a really nice signature, luckily. Here is a graph, dots are measurements.

Tristan was just a bit too small to find the rise towards the peak.

Likes Wledig and vanhees71
Orodruin said:
Neutral currents were discovered in accelerator experiments, not through neutrino interactions.

Neutral currents were discovered in accelerator experiments, not through neutrino interactions.

They were discovered in 1973 by the Gargamelle experiment at CERN, via a process similar to described in post #2. The Z, on the other hand, was discovered by colliders. While in principle, one could use the sort of measurement as described in #2 to determine the mass of the Z, it requires impractically precise measurements and/or impractically high energy beams to measure the Z mass this way.

• Informative
Likes nrqed and mfb
Vanadium 50 said:

They were discovered in 1973 by the Gargamelle experiment at CERN, via a process similar to described in post #2. The Z, on the other hand, was discovered by colliders. While in principle, one could use the sort of measurement as described in #2 to determine the mass of the Z, it requires impractically precise measurements and/or impractically high energy beams to measure the Z mass this way.
Agreed, I should have formulated that more carefully.

Likes vanhees71

1. What are neutral currents?

Neutral currents are a type of electric current that flows through a circuit without any net charge. This means that the current is made up of equal amounts of positive and negative charges, resulting in a net charge of zero.

2. How are neutral currents detected?

Neutral currents can be detected using specialized equipment called current transformers, which measure the magnetic field created by the current. The current transformer is placed around the conductor carrying the current, and the resulting magnetic field is converted into an electric signal that can be measured.

3. What is the significance of detecting neutral currents?

Detecting neutral currents is important for understanding and monitoring the flow of electricity in power systems. It can help identify imbalances or faults in the system, and ensure that the system is operating safely and efficiently.

4. How are neutral currents different from other types of currents?

Neutral currents are different from other types of currents, such as direct current (DC) or alternating current (AC), because they do not have a specific direction of flow. Instead, they flow in both directions simultaneously, resulting in a net charge of zero.

5. Can neutral currents be harmful?

In most cases, neutral currents are not harmful as they do not carry a significant amount of energy. However, in some situations, such as when there is a fault in the system, neutral currents can become imbalanced and cause damage to equipment or even pose a safety hazard. This is why it is important to monitor and detect neutral currents in power systems.