Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Detection of rotary motion

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    Hello everybody,

I am basically in computer & electronics field. In one of my project, I want to get the status of the motor of cnc machines (to detect whether it is running or not). Speed is not important. Presently I am using proximity sensor near the motor shaft. I get pulses when motor is running. Then I have to convert these pulses to a continuous signal.

I am looking for some simple mechanical arrangement to detect linear or rotary motion. So that a limit switch will operate when motor is running.

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2
    There must be something controlling the motor which at some stage in the controller tells the motor to run can you piggyback onto that signal.

4. Oct 18, 2012 #3
    Thanks Jobrag. Yes, such signal is available on some machines. But as my product is used with different types of CNC machines, every time I have to find such signal which is difficult.

Thats why I have decided to use a standard method which will work for any machine. I got one tip to use centrifugal switch, I will see whether it is possible or not.

5. Oct 18, 2012 #4
    Thanks Jobrag. Yes, such signal is available on some machines. But as my product is used with different types of CNC machines, every time I have to find such signal which is difficult.

Thats why I have decided to use a standard method which will work for any machine. I got one tip to use centrifugal switch, I will see whether it is possible or not.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook