1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Deterimning Thevenin's circuit

1. Apr 30, 2014 #1
    I have to determine the Thevenin's equivalent circuit for the circuit attached.
    I am stuck on the first and essential part, finding the thevenin's resistance.

Answer should be 10ohms, my attempt:

[itex]R_2||4 = \frac{5*16}{5+16} = 3.81ohms[/itex]

[itex]R_1,3,5 = 20 + 12 + 2 = 34ohms[/itex]

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2014 #2
    Ok, so R2 AND R4 are not in parallel. Are R2 and R1 in parallel?

4. Apr 30, 2014 #3

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

Be a lot easier to figure out what you are talking about if you actually showed the circuit.

5. Apr 30, 2014 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

[You forgot to attach your image. I've "borrowed" it from your previous thread]

attachment.php?attachmentid=69249&stc=1&d=1398860411.gif

Yes, when the source voltage E is suppressed then R1 and R2 will be in parallel.

Attached Files:

6. Apr 30, 2014 #5
    Sorry, i did but it wouldn't allow me since i already posted it in another post.

So:

[itex]R1||2=\frac{20*5}{20+5}=4ohms[/itex]

7. Apr 30, 2014 #6
    Are R3 an R4 parallel?

8. Apr 30, 2014 #7

gneill

No. Once you've combined R1 and R2, redraw your circuit including the "new" resistance (maybe call it R12) and re-evaluate the layout.

9. Apr 30, 2014 #8
    Is that new resistance positioned where R2 is or where R1 is?

10. Apr 30, 2014 #9

gneill

Either. It's replacing both, which were in parallel, so they make the same node connections in the circuit. Note that the orientation (vertical, horizontal, diagonal,...) on a drawing makes no difference to the electrical behavior of the circuit. The only thing that matters is the connections.

11. Apr 30, 2014 #10
    so...

Attached Files:

• c2.jpg
      c2.jpg
      File size:
      7.6 KB
      Views:
  12. Apr 30, 2014 #11

gneill

Sure. Keep on going...

I assume that you're using the voltage source in your image as a placeholder for the eventual Thevenin voltage source. If you're clever you can give it a value as you work your way through the circuit reductions; you can successively replace the portions of the circuit you reduce with Thevenin equivalents (Voltage and resistance) and eventually end up with the final overall Thevenin equivalent.

attachment.php?attachmentid=69251&stc=1&d=1398862991.gif

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted