Solving for R_eq: Parallel and Series Resistors Explained | 30 Ohm Answer

• Thread starter qwerty321
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of solving for R_eq in parallel and series resistors is to find a single resistance value that represents the combined effect of multiple resistors in a circuit, making it easier to analyze and calculate the circuit's overall resistance. For a series circuit, R_eq is calculated by summing all individual resistances, while for a parallel circuit, it is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. The main difference between series and parallel circuits is the way resistors are connected, with series circuits having a single path and parallel circuits having multiple paths. Understanding R_eq is important in circuit analysis as it simplifies the circuit and aids in designing more efficient circuits.
qwerty321
Hey everyone..I am new to this forum(2nd time I post a thread)

I have this exercice,which I am unable to solve..it has been 1 hour

Determine Req between terminals ab in the figure above

The figure is in the attachement..

In the solution ,they say that Req =30 ohms..but i am not getting this answer..

This is how i am reasoning:

24 and 12 are in parallel

then (24 and 12) with 22 are in series..
but then what next?

thank you

Attachments

• untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    2.4 KB · Views: 400
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i found it.finally..

Hello,

Thank you for reaching out with your question. Solving for equivalent resistance (Req) in a circuit can be tricky, but with some understanding of parallel and series resistors, it can be solved easily.

First, let's review the concepts of parallel and series resistors:

- Parallel resistors are connected side by side, and their equivalent resistance is always less than the individual resistances.

- Series resistors are connected end to end, and their equivalent resistance is the sum of the individual resistances.

Now, let's apply these concepts to your problem. From the figure, we can see that the 24 ohm and 12 ohm resistors are in parallel, and their equivalent resistance can be calculated using the formula:

Req = (24 x 12)/(24 + 12) = 8 ohms

Next, we have the 8 ohm equivalent resistance in series with the 22 ohm resistor. This can be calculated using the formula:

Req = 8 + 22 = 30 ohms

Therefore, the equivalent resistance between terminals ab is 30 ohms.

I hope this helps to explain the solution better. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. Good luck with your studies!

What is the purpose of solving for R_eq in parallel and series resistors?

The equivalent resistance, R_eq, is the single resistance value that represents the combined effect of multiple resistors in a circuit. This allows for easier analysis and calculation of the circuit's overall resistance.

How do you calculate R_eq for a series circuit?

In a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is simply the sum of all the individual resistances. So, if there are three resistors with values R1, R2, and R3, then R_eq = R1 + R2 + R3.

How do you calculate R_eq for a parallel circuit?

In a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the sum of the reciprocals of each individual resistance. So, if there are three resistors with values R1, R2, and R3, then 1/R_eq = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3. The final R_eq can be found by taking the reciprocal of the result.

What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, the resistors are connected in a single path, so the current through each resistor is the same. In a parallel circuit, the resistors are connected in multiple paths, so the current is divided between the resistors. Additionally, in a series circuit, the equivalent resistance is always greater than the individual resistances, while in a parallel circuit, the equivalent resistance is always less than the individual resistances.

Why is it important to understand R_eq in circuit analysis?

R_eq is an important concept in circuit analysis because it simplifies the circuit and allows for easier calculation of current, voltage, and power. It also helps in identifying the most efficient and effective way to design a circuit with desired resistance values.