1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determening allowed states in atoms

1. Oct 20, 2005 #1
    there is one thing about atomic states I don't understand. I try to look at what states are possible for a np^2 configuration (that is, all lower shells are filled and don't contribute to the case). For example my textbook says that the [tex]~^1 P[/tex] state is not allowed because of the Pauli principle.
    But now, let's have a look at what [tex]^1 ~P[/tex] means:
    L = 1
    S = 0
    The spins are clearly anti-parallel. For L = 1 we have M_L = -1,0,1. I don't see any problem finding m_l's adding up to those M_L's without breaking the Pauli principle. So what am I not getting?
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 21, 2005 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Er... unless I misunderstand your notation, for n=1, you only have L=0 as the only possible angular momentum state. L=1 doesn't exist. Only for n=2 do you have L=0 and 1.

4. Oct 21, 2005 #3
    No I don't mean n=1 but rather 2S+1 = 1. I tried to hang the "1" a bit higher with tex-code, but it didn't work out perfectly I guess. To clarify: with upper case I mean the total spin/orbital angular momentum of all the electrons and with lower case spin/orbital angular momentum of an individual electron.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?