Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant 2

1. Nov 8, 2009 #1
    If I have a matrix [tex]A[/tex], and I use [tex]n[/tex] different row operations of this form: [tex]a_kR_i + R_j \rightarrow R_i[/tex] to construct a new matrix [tex]B[/tex], what is the determinant of [tex]A[/tex] in terms of [tex]B[/tex]?

Solved!

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2009 #2
    Not entirely. Write B out in terms of the rows of A, then use the multilinearity of the determinant over the rows of the matrix.

4. Nov 8, 2009 #3
    [tex]B_i = a_kA_i + A_j[/tex]

I'm not sure what you mean when you say:

5. Nov 8, 2009 #4
    If we write A as a list of rows: A1,...,Am, where the Ai is the ith row of the matrix A, we know that det(A1, ..., r*Ai+Aj, ..., Am) = r*det(A1, ..., Ai, ..., Am) + det(A1, ..., Aj, ..., Am) for all scalars r and each Ak. That is, the determinant is a linear operator with respect to each row; it is multilinear.

6. Nov 9, 2009 #5
    Wow, after a week of looking for it, I found what I was doing wrong, and it turns out it was just a stupid mistake.

The actual formula to the problem in my first post should be:

[tex]|A|=|B|\prod^n_{k=1}\frac{1}{a_k}[/tex]

I assume that's what you were trying to hint at slider142?

7. Nov 9, 2009 #6
    Yep. Each scalar can be pulled out as a factor due to linearity, while the second determinant in the sum vanishes, so you end up with the product of each scalar multiplied by the original determinant.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook