Solve nxn Determinant Homework

• Thread starter cdummie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Determinant
In summary, the conversation involves solving a determinant problem using a specific method of transforming the matrix. The final solution is given as (-1)^{\lfloor n/2 \rfloor} times the determinant of a diagonal matrix with all 1's on the diagonal.
cdummie

Homework Statement

I have to solve the following determinant
## D_n=\begin{vmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 2 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 2 & 1 & 1 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\ 1 & 2 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 1 & 0 \end{vmatrix} ##

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So my idea was to multiply the last row by -1 and add it to every other row, that way, i had the following determinant:
##D_n= \begin{vmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 1 & 0 & 1 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 1 & 0 \end{vmatrix} ##

So i have determinant with all zeros above diagonal, so solution to this should be product of all elements of diagonal (i should keep in mind that sign changes since this isn't "regular" diagonal), so i ended up with: ## D_n=(-1)^{\frac{n(n+1)}{2}} ##. Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you are correct. Unless I'm wrong ##D_3 = -1##, but with your answer you get 1.
You don't change the determinant by adding to a column a multiple of another column, and you multiply the determinant by ##-1## by exchanging 2 columns. So after your transformation, you exchange columns ##(i,n+1-i)## for ##i = 1...\lfloor n/2 \rfloor## so that you have the determinant of a diagonal (EDIT: TRIANGULAR sorry) matrix that has only 1's on the diagonal, and ##\lfloor n/2 \rfloor## transpositions.

Last edited:
geoffrey159 said:
So after your transformation, you exchange columns ##(i,n+1-i)## for ##i = 1...\lfloor n/2 \rfloor## so that you have the determinant of a diagonal matrix that has only 1's on the diagonal, and ##\lfloor n/2 \rfloor## transpositions.
I don't understand what you mean, could you explain me this part?

In your attempt to a solution, you wrote

##D_n= \det(C_1,...,C_n) = \begin{vmatrix} 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 0 & 0 & \cdots & 1 & 0 & 1 \\ \vdots & \vdots & \vdots & \ddots & \vdots & \vdots & \vdots \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & \cdots & 0 & 0 & 1 \\ 1 & 1 & 1 & \cdots & 1 & 1 & 0 \end{vmatrix} ##

Now each time you exchange two columns, you multiply the determinant by -1. So that by permuting columns ##i## and ##n+1 - i## for all ##i = 1... \lfloor n/2 \rfloor##, you get

##D_n = (-1) ^ {\lfloor n/2 \rfloor } \det(C_n,C_{n-1},...,C_1) ##

and ## \det(C_n,C_{n-1},...,C_1) ## is very easy to compute.

Likes cdummie

What is an nxn determinant?

An nxn determinant is a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to calculate the orientation and scaling of a set of vectors. It is represented by a square matrix and is commonly used to solve systems of linear equations.

How do I solve an nxn determinant?

To solve an nxn determinant, you can use various methods such as the cofactor expansion method, the Laplace expansion method, or the Gaussian elimination method. Each method involves a series of mathematical operations to reduce the determinant to a simpler form until the final solution is reached.

What are the applications of solving nxn determinants?

Solving nxn determinants has many real-world applications, including in engineering, physics, and economics. They are useful in solving systems of linear equations, finding areas and volumes of geometric shapes, and determining the stability of a system.

What are the common mistakes when solving nxn determinants?

There are a few common mistakes that students make when solving nxn determinants. These include forgetting to apply the correct sign when expanding the determinant, making errors in multiplication or addition, and forgetting to include all terms in the expansion.

How can I check if my solution to an nxn determinant is correct?

You can check your solution to an nxn determinant by using a calculator or software program that can calculate determinants. Alternatively, you can also use your solution to solve the original system of equations and check if it satisfies all the equations.