Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of 10x10 Matrix

1. Jun 16, 2008 #1
    I am trying to figure out the formula for the determinant of a 10x10 matrix. I was told to use row reducation method, but I am not really sure what it is. I never took Linear Algebra. Can someone please help me.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 16, 2008 #2
  4. Jun 16, 2008 #3

Defennder

Homework Helper

It's going to be quite tedious even if you were to row-reduce it before finding its determinant. Some special matrices have easy determinants, so maybe you could see if the matrix for which you are trying to evaluate the determinant has some property which allows you to compute its determinant easily.

EDIT: I see that you say you are trying to "figure out the formula". There's a recursive method for finding the determinants of an arbitrary nxn matrix. It's known as cofactor expansion.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2008
  5. Jun 16, 2008 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

I know that's not what you are asking for, but in the case of 10x10... go numerical.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2013
  6. Jun 16, 2008 #5
    Definitely go numerical. It's going to take a long time computing the determinant of that unless it was diagonal.

7. Jun 18, 2008 #6
    Umm I can't go numerical... I need to do it in terms of formulas.... And no, diagonals arent allowed. What can I do? Can someone help me determine the forumla? please

8. Jun 18, 2008 #7

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

9. Jun 18, 2008 #8
    Put the matrix in a list and use guassian elimination, and sounds like the perfect sort of problem for a functional programming language.

10. Jun 20, 2008 #9

Haelfix

Science Advisor

The explicit formula for such a matrix will be a horrible, horrible mess (think many many pages).

You are almost guarenteed to make an algebra error somewhere. This is exactly what computers are for.

11. Jun 20, 2008 #10

Defennder

Homework Helper

Is this question from a textbook? If so, then perhaps it's best if you were to post the exact problem. The problem with devising a formula for the determinant of a 10x10 matrix is that it would require far too many variables, at least 100 variables would be needed, each for every entry of the matrix. I doubt any textbook problem would require such to be done.

12. Jun 20, 2008 #11
    Not in a textbook. My proffesor for Diffiq said if anyone figures out the forumal for the dertminant of a 10x10, they automatically get an A in the class.

13. Jun 20, 2008 #12

Defennder

Homework Helper

I'm pretty sure he meant that tongue-in-cheek. To clarify, did you ask him why he wanted only the formula for a 10x10 matrix and not some other arbitrary size?

14. Jun 20, 2008 #13

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If you really want it [and don't want to derive it], you can write a short Maple program.

with(LinearAlgebra); M:=Matrix(3,3,symbol=m); Determinant(M);

You might wish gradually tune the size of the square matrix up to your desired value... but you should be prepared to wait.

15. Jun 20, 2008 #14
    Finding the formula is really simple. You'd just need several pages to write/print it, and there would be 100 variables. So you'd be very likely to make a mistake somewhere if you tried to do it by hand.

I doubt that your professor would actually give an A for it though since it is extremely easy.

Hell, I wonder if this would suffice: (Let [tex]a_{i,j}[/tex] denote the i,jth entry of the matrix)
    [tex]\sum_{\sigma \in S_{10}} \text{sgn}(\sigma) \sum_{i=1}^{10} a_{i, \sigma(i)}[/tex]
    because that is one way to write the formula. It's called Leibniz's formula for the determinant. Of course you'd need to know what [tex]S_{10}[/tex] is and what the sign of an element of [tex]S_{10}[/tex] means as well as how to interpret the summation signs

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?