Answer 4x4 Determinant: a+b+c+d

I'm not sure how you got that formula. Can you explain your reasoning?Here's how I did it:Expanding by the first column:\begin{array} {rl} \left|\begin{array}{cccc} a & b & c & d+1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & -1\end{array}\right| &= a\left|\begin{array}{ccc} 0 & 1 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 0 & 0 & -1\end{array}\right| - b
archita

Homework Statement

The determinant
a+1 a a a
b b+1 b b
c c c+1 c
d d d d+1
equals =?
option : a) 1+ a + b+ c+ d
b)a + b+ c+ d
c)a.b.c.d
d)1 + a.b.c.d

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[1] tried using finding the co factors...but the process becomes very length
[2] tried by row-column operations...as below , but nothing workd...
1 0 0 0 a a a a
0 1 0 0 + b b b b
0 0 1 0 c c c c
0 0 0 1 d d d d

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi archita, welcome to PF! :smile:

This forum supports LaTeX, which you can use to write equations and matrices in a much nicer format...For example, writing:

[$tex]\begin{pmatrix} a+1 & a & a & a \\ b & b+1 & b & b \\ c & c & c+1 & c \\ d & d & d &d+1 \end{pmatrix}[/$tex]

And deleting the $ signs gives:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a+1 & a & a & a \\ b & b+1 & b & b \\ c & c & c+1 & c \\ d & d & d &d+1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

...Now, for your question...Hint:

[tex]\begin{pmatrix} a+1 & a & a & a \\ b & b+1 & b & b \\ c & c & c+1 & c \\ d & d & d &d+1 \end{pmatrix}=\begin{pmatrix} a & a & a & a \\ b & b & b & b \\ c & c & c & c \\ d & d & d &d \end{pmatrix}+I=I+\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix} \begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 &1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]

Where [itex]I[/itex] is the Identity matrix...use Sylvester's detrminant theorem :wink:

Last edited:
Then the answer would be one but that is none of the options. shouldn't this Sylvester use his theorem one row at a time?

JANm said:
Then the answer would be one but that is none of the options. shouldn't this Sylvester use his theorem one row at a time?

Sylvester's theorem does not give an answer of one...For two column vectors [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] of equal dimension, Sylvester's theorem states that :

[tex] \text{det}(I+uv^T)=1+v^T u[/tex]

In this case you would use [tex]u=\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]v^T=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 &1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]...surely you do not get one using this?

gabbagabbahey said:
Sylvester's theorem does not give an answer of one...For two column vectors [itex]u[/itex] and [itex]v[/itex] of equal dimension, Sylvester's theorem states that :

[tex] \text{det}(I+uv^T)=1+v^T u[/tex]

In this case you would use [tex]u=\begin{pmatrix} a \\ b \\ c \\ d \end{pmatrix}[/tex] and [tex]v^T=\begin{pmatrix}1 & 1 & 1 &1 \end{pmatrix}[/tex]...surely you do not get one using this?

Now I can see that the problem is solved! Clever Sylvester.

Still had my doubts. Couldn't there be a solution e: 1+a+b+c+d+ab+ac+ad+bc+bd+cd?

If I take a=1, b=2, c=3, d=4 and calculate the determinant the old way I get 46

JANm said:
Still had my doubts. Couldn't there be a solution e: 1+a+b+c+d+ab+ac+ad+bc+bd+cd?

If I take a=1, b=2, c=3, d=4 and calculate the determinant the old way I get 46

Then you're calculating the determinant incorrectly...using: a=1, b=2, c=3, d=4 and calculating the determinant "the old way" gives:

[tex]\begin{vmatrix} 2 & 1 & 1 & 1 \\ 2 & 3 & 2 & 2 \\ 3 & 3 & 4 & 3 \\ 4 & 4 & 4 & 5 \end{vmatrix}=\begin{array}{l} 2[3(4*5-3*4)-2(3*5-3*4)+2(3*4-4*4)]-1[2(4*5-3*4)-2(3*5-3*4)+2(3*4-4*4)] \\ +1[2(3*5-3*4)-3(3*5-3*4)+2(3*4-3*4)]-1[2(3*4-4*4)-3(3*4-4*4)+2(3*4-3*4)] \end{array}[/tex]

[tex]=2[24-6-8]-[16-6-8]+[6-9+0]-[-8+12+0]=20-2-3-4=11 \neq 46[/tex]

You are right my 46 is not just. Excel gave for the four to four matrix indeed 11 too.
So my solution e is not just and one of the four a..d is in this case.

I took (a+1)(b+1)(c+1)(d+1) +3abcd -(a+1)bcd -(b+1)acd -(c+1)abd -(d+1)abc,
a method which works for three by three matrixes but apparently not for 4 by 4.

thanks a ton :smile:

Since this is a 4 by 4 matrix (even number of rows and columns) its determinant is the same as the determinant of the transpose,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}a+ 1 & b & c & d \\ a & b+ 1 & c & d \\ a & b & c+ 1 & d \\ a & b & c & d+ 1 \end{array}\right\|[/tex]

Swapping two rows multiplies the determinant by -1 so doing that twice gives the same determinant,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc}a & b & c & d+1 \\ a & b & c+1 & d \\ a & b+1 & c & d \\ a+1 & b & c & d\end{array}\right|[/tex]

Subtract the first row from each of the other rows,
[tex]\left|\begin{array}{cccc} a & b & c & d+1 \\ 0 & 0 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & 0 & -1 \\ 1 & 0 & 0 & -1\end{array}\right|[/tex]

and, finally, expand that on the first column.

So that will be Det(1:4,1:4) = a * det(2:4,2:4) - det(2:4,1:3) ?
I'll check that!...

1. What is a 4x4 determinant?

A 4x4 determinant is a mathematical concept that represents a square matrix with 4 rows and 4 columns. It is typically denoted as det(A) or |A|.

2. How do you find the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

To find the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, you can use the expansion by minors method, which involves finding the determinant of smaller submatrices within the original matrix. Alternatively, you can use the Gaussian elimination method, which involves transforming the matrix into an upper triangular form and then calculating the determinant.

3. What is the significance of a 4x4 determinant?

A 4x4 determinant has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine whether a matrix is invertible.

4. Can you explain the formula for finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The formula for finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix is often referred to as the "Rule of Sarrus." It involves multiplying the elements in the main diagonal and adding them to the products of the elements in two smaller diagonals, with one diagonal going from top left to bottom right and the other going from top right to bottom left.

5. How does changing the values of a, b, c, and d affect the 4x4 determinant?

Changing the values of a, b, c, and d in a 4x4 determinant can significantly affect the value of the determinant. In some cases, changing just one value can result in a different determinant, while in other cases, the determinant may remain unchanged. This is because the determinant is a function of all the elements in the matrix and is highly dependent on their values.