1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of a 3X3 matrix

1. Feb 16, 2008 #1
    M= |3-2x^3_____-4+2x^2+4x^3______0|

find the determinant.

* I put the underscores for spacing.

3. The attempt at a solution

I first tried finding det(A) as if it was a regular matrix of numbers, but that doesn't seem to work. So I'm really not sure how to find the determinant for a matrix of polynomial equations. Where would you actually start?
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 16, 2008 #2

Staff: Mentor

Well, one can use the fact that the third column has two zeros as entries.

Think about

+ - +
    - + -
    + - +
  4. Feb 16, 2008 #3
    I'm not quite getting what I'm supposed to see from the 2 zeros. The way I worked it out before was using the normal determinant method of a11(a22*a33-a32*a23)-a12...etc. Would that not be the correct way to find a determinant for this type of matrix?
  5. Feb 16, 2008 #4

It should work! If it does not work, check your calculation. It's really the same as the determinant of a matrix of numbers. The fact that there are two zeroes will make the final result not too awful looking. But it's the usual formula for the determinant of a 3 by 3 matrix.

EDIT: give your answer (before expanded out) and we can check if you made a mistake
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  6. Feb 16, 2008 #5

Staff: Mentor

That would be one way. The co-factor expansion (or determinant expansion by minors) can be done on any column or row! If one does is using the third column, one sees a33|A33|, where A33 is the 3,3 minor.

See the examples here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_expansion - using first row or second column. One can also use the third row or third column.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?