• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Determinant of a 3X3 matrix

• Thread starter snoggerT
  • Start date
M= |3-2x^3_____-4+2x^2+4x^3______0|
|-x^3________1+x^2+2x^3_______0|
|-8-6x^2_____16+12x^2____-1-3x^2|

find the determinant.

* I put the underscores for spacing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried finding det(A) as if it was a regular matrix of numbers, but that doesn't seem to work. So I'm really not sure how to find the determinant for a matrix of polynomial equations. Where would you actually start?

Answers and Replies

Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Well, one can use the fact that the third column has two zeros as entries.

Think about

+ - +
- + -
+ - +

I'm not quite getting what I'm supposed to see from the 2 zeros. The way I worked it out before was using the normal determinant method of a11(a22*a33-a32*a23)-a12...etc. Would that not be the correct way to find a determinant for this type of matrix?

kdv
M= |3-2x^3_____-4+2x^2+4x^3______0|
|-x^3________1+x^2+2x^3_______0|
|-8-6x^2_____16+12x^2____-1-3x^2|

find the determinant.

* I put the underscores for spacing.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried finding det(A) as if it was a regular matrix of numbers, but that doesn't seem to work. So I'm really not sure how to find the determinant for a matrix of polynomial equations. Where would you actually start?
It should work! If it does not work, check your calculation. It's really the same as the determinant of a matrix of numbers. The fact that there are two zeroes will make the final result not too awful looking. But it's the usual formula for the determinant of a 3 by 3 matrix.

EDIT: give your answer (before expanded out) and we can check if you made a mistake

Last edited:
Astronuc
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
I'm not quite getting what I'm supposed to see from the 2 zeros. The way I worked it out before was using the normal determinant method of a11(a22*a33-a32*a23)-a12...etc. Would that not be the correct way to find a determinant for this type of matrix?
That would be one way. The co-factor expansion (or determinant expansion by minors) can be done on any column or row! If one does is using the third column, one sees a33|A33|, where A33 is the 3,3 minor.

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/DeterminantExpansionbyMinors.html

See the examples here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laplace_expansion - using first row or second column. One can also use the third row or third column.