Determinant of a 4x4 matrix

In summary, the conversation discusses different methods for calculating the determinant of large matrices. The speaker mentions that row reduction is the most efficient method, but also asks about using the appended matrix method for a 4x4 matrix. However, they mention that the method may not work for larger matrices. The other method mentioned is expansion by minors, which can also be simplified depending on the matrix.
Kevin McHugh
I know row reduction methods are the best way to calculate the determinant of large matrices. I was wondering if you can use the appended matrix method to calculate the determinant of a 4x4 by appending the matrix with the first 3 columns. There should be n! terms, but I only get 8 instead of 24.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think the appended matrix method works for larger than 3x3 matrices for that reason.

The only other way I know for calculating the determinant is expansion by minors, which is n! terms, in principle, but it's a lot easier than it sounds if you have a lot of zeroes and ones.

1. What is the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix is a numerical value that can be calculated from the elements of the matrix. It is often denoted by det(A) or |A|, where A is the matrix.

2. How do you find the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

There are several methods for finding the determinant of a 4x4 matrix, including the cofactor expansion method and the row reduction method. These methods involve performing specific mathematical operations on the elements of the matrix to arrive at the determinant value.

3. What is the significance of the determinant of a 4x4 matrix?

The determinant of a 4x4 matrix has various applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to solve systems of linear equations, calculate areas and volumes, and determine whether a matrix is invertible.

4. Can the determinant of a 4x4 matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a 4x4 matrix can be negative. The sign of the determinant depends on the arrangement of the elements in the matrix and is not limited to positive values.

5. How does changing the elements of a 4x4 matrix affect its determinant?

Changing the elements of a 4x4 matrix can have a significant impact on its determinant. In general, increasing the values of the elements will result in a larger determinant, while decreasing the values may result in a smaller determinant. However, the exact effect will depend on the specific changes made to the matrix.