1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant of an nxn matrix

1. Sep 13, 2016 #1
    The problem I have is this: Show that

\begin{bmatrix} 1 & 1 & 1 \\ λ_{1} & λ_{2} & λ_{3} \\ λ_{1}^{2} & λ_{2}^{2} & λ_{3}^{2} \end{bmatrix}
    Has determinant

$$ (λ_{3} - λ_{2}) (λ_{3} - λ_{1}) (λ_{2} - λ_{1}) $$

And generalize to the NxN case (proof not needed)

Obviously solving the 3x3 was not hard, I simply expanded the expression for the determinate given and showed it to be the same as the one i calculated using the rule of Sarrus.

However for the nxn case I'm not sure how to proceed. I tried entering bigger and bigger matrices into wolfram but there was no clear pattern. Is there a non computational way to solve this?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 13, 2016 #2

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Have you tried an induction over ##n##?

4. Sep 13, 2016 #3

Charles Link

Homework Helper

I don't have a complete answer, but a 4x4 with the 4th row being cubic will result in a 6th power polynomial form. The number of combinations of 4 things taken 2 at a time is 6, making for the 6 factors. (I don't know how to choose the minus or plus sign for the terms, but if it does generalize, this might be helpful.)...editing... One additional observation is if two columns of a matrix are identical, I think the determinant is zero. This is consistent with setting the product of the factors equal to zero.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  5. Sep 13, 2016 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

6. Sep 14, 2016 #5
    Thank you! The formula for the vandermonde determinant was exactly what I needed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted