Proof: Det(A)=Det((C^-1)AC)

In summary: IA = AI for an arbitrary matrix A (i.e. that A is a scalar multiple of I).In summary, we were asked to prove that if A and C are nxn matrices, with C invertible, then det(A) = det((C^-1)AC). The key to this proof is to use the formula for the determinant of a product of matrices, which states that det(MN) = det(M)det(N). We can apply this formula to the right hand side of the given equation and then use the fact that det(C-1) = 1/det(C) to simplify and show that det(A) = det((C^-1)AC), as desired.
mlarson9000

Homework Statement

If A and C are nxn matricies, with C invertible, prove that det(A)=det((C^-1)AC).

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think the way to go is to show that if A=(C^-1)AC, then det(A)=det((C^-1)AC), but I'm not sure how to show A=(C^-1)AC. I know CC^-1=(C^-1)C=I, but I just can't see how to put this all together.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you know some formula for determinant of a product?

g_edgar said:
Do you know some formula for determinant of a product?

det((C^-1)AC)=det(C^-1)*det(A)*det(C)=(1/det(C))*det(C)*det(A)=(det(C)/det(C))*det(A)=det(A).

Is that it?

Well, his question was "Do you know some formula for determinant of a product?".

I assume your answer is "Yes"!:biggrin:

In that case, so is mine.:tongue:

mlarson9000 said:
det((C^-1)AC)=det(C^-1)*det(A)*det(C)=(1/det(C))*det(C)*det(A)=(det(C)/det(C))*det(A)=det(A).

Is that it?

I don't think so - you seem to be confusing the inverse C-1 of a matrix C with the reciprocal 1/det(C) of the number det(C) which does not come into this at all.

g_edgar asked do you know any formula for a determinant of a product of matrices, e.g. of the determinant of MN where M, N are both n X n matrices.

You can treat the right hand side using a couple of such formulae.

Your proposed matrix equation A = C-1AC (equivalent to CA = AC ) is not true in general.

epenguin said:
I don't think so - you seem to be confusing the inverse C-1 of a matrix C with the reciprocal 1/det(C) of the number det(C) which does not come into this at all.

det(Identity matrix) = 1 = det(CC-1 = det(C)*det(C-1) and hence det(C-1) = 1/det(C)

What is the meaning of det(A) and det((C^-1)AC)?

The determinant of a matrix represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation described by that matrix. In other words, it tells us how the matrix affects the size of the vectors it operates on. The first determinant, det(A), refers to the original matrix A, while the second determinant, det((C^-1)AC), refers to the transformed matrix, where C^-1 is the inverse of C and A is the original matrix.

Why is the equality det(A)=det((C^-1)AC) important?

This equality is important because it allows us to calculate the determinant of a transformed matrix without having to perform a time-consuming and error-prone calculation. By using the inverse of C, we can simplify the calculation and still get the same result as if we had calculated the determinant directly from the original matrix.

What is the relationship between the determinant and the invertibility of a matrix?

A matrix is invertible if and only if its determinant is non-zero. In other words, if the determinant of a matrix is zero, it is not possible to find an inverse matrix for it. This is because the determinant represents the scaling factor of the linear transformation, and a scaling factor of zero means no transformation is occurring, making it impossible to reverse the transformation.

Can the equality det(A)=det((C^-1)AC) be extended to any square matrix A and invertible matrix C?

No, this equality only holds true for square matrices and invertible matrices. If a matrix is not square, it does not have a determinant. And if the matrix is not invertible, we cannot use its inverse to simplify the calculation of the determinant.

How does the equality det(A)=det((C^-1)AC) relate to the properties of determinants?

This equality is a direct result of the property of determinants that states det(AB) = det(A)det(B). By using the inverse of C, we can rewrite the transformed matrix as C^-1C, which simplifies to the identity matrix, leaving us with det(A) = det(A), which is always true.