1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinant proof

1. Jul 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    If A and C are nxn matricies, with C invertible, prove that det(A)=det((C^-1)AC).

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I think the way to go is to show that if A=(C^-1)AC, then det(A)=det((C^-1)AC), but I'm not sure how to show A=(C^-1)AC. I know CC^-1=(C^-1)C=I, but I just can't see how to put this all together.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2009 #2
    Do you know some formula for determinant of a product?

4. Jul 12, 2009 #3
    det((C^-1)AC)=det(C^-1)*det(A)*det(C)=(1/det(C))*det(C)*det(A)=(det(C)/det(C))*det(A)=det(A).

Is that it?

5. Jul 12, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Well, his question was "Do you know some formula for determinant of a product?".

I assume your answer is "Yes"!:biggrin:

In that case, so is mine.:tongue:

6. Jul 12, 2009 #5

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't think so - you seem to be confusing the inverse C-1 of a matrix C with the reciprocal 1/det(C) of the number det(C) which does not come into this at all.

g_edgar asked do you know any formula for a determinant of a product of matrices, e.g. of the determinant of MN where M, N are both n X n matrices.

You can treat the right hand side using a couple of such formulae.

Your proposed matrix equation A = C-1AC (equivalent to CA = AC ) is not true in general.

7. Jul 12, 2009 #6

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

det(Identity matrix) = 1 = det(CC-1 = det(C)*det(C-1) and hence det(C-1) = 1/det(C)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook