Solve 3x-y+2z=4 - Help for Newbie

In summary, solving an equation with three unknowns can be done by either converting it into a matrix equation or modifying the equations and solving them simultaneously. It may be helpful to pick values for two of the unknowns to make the calculations easier.
poon
am not a math guru :P,am a newbie even if this should be solved by a newbie as well, Id like u guys to help me out to solve this one :

3x-y+2z=4

Im really needing this, thank you all.

Physics news on Phys.org
One equation, three unknowns.

You can solve this equation as long as you pick values for any two of the unknowns.

SteamKing said:
One equation, three unknowns.

You can solve this equation as long as you pick values for any two of the unknowns.

can u give me a hand now ? :)
3x+y+2z=4
2x+3y-z=4
2x-y-z=0

You could either convert it into a matrix equation and solve it.

Or you can use one equation to modify the other two, and then solve those two simultaneously. For example if you take the last equation and substitute it into the first 2, then solve the now modified first two you will get two of the solutions.

Thank you guys. But when its up to math in english I am not good,actually I am not understanding this that much, i need someone to solve it in mathematical view..

poon said:
Thank you guys. But when its up to math in english I am not good,actually I am not understanding this that much, i need someone to solve it in mathematical view..

Do you know how to form a matrix equation from a system of equations?

3x+y+2z=4 (1)
2x+3y-z=4 (2)
2x-y-z=0 (3)

If you take equation 2 and subtract that from equation 3, what equation are you left with?

Similarly, if you take equation 1 and add that to 2*equation 3, what equation are you left with?

1. What is the equation 3x-y+2z=4 used for?

The equation 3x-y+2z=4 is used to solve for the values of x, y, and z that satisfy the equation. It is often used in systems of equations to find the intersection point of three planes.

2. How do I solve 3x-y+2z=4?

To solve the equation 3x-y+2z=4, you need to isolate one variable and solve for it. You can do this by using algebraic techniques such as combining like terms, adding or subtracting the same number to both sides, or multiplying or dividing both sides by the same number.

3. What if I don't know the values of x, y, and z?

If you do not know the values of x, y, and z, you can still solve the equation. You will need to have at least two equations and two unknowns to solve for the values. You can use substitution or elimination methods to find the values of x, y, and z.

4. Can I use a calculator to solve 3x-y+2z=4?

Yes, you can use a calculator to solve 3x-y+2z=4. However, it is important to understand the steps involved in solving the equation by hand before relying on a calculator.

5. What are some common mistakes when solving 3x-y+2z=4?

Some common mistakes when solving 3x-y+2z=4 include forgetting to combine like terms, making a sign error, and not isolating one variable before solving. It is important to double check your work and be careful with your calculations to avoid these mistakes.