Calculating Determinants of Matrices: A How-To Guide

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the determinants of three different matrices, A, B, and C. The determinant of A is solved using elementary row operations, while the determinants of B and C are solved using specific row operations. The conversation also briefly mentions how to calculate the determinant of a matrix using induction, with examples provided for the base case and the inductive step.
mathmari
Gold Member
MHB
Hey! :eek:

I want to calculate the determinant of the following matrices:
  1. $$A=\begin{pmatrix}-3 & -11 & -11 & 45 \\ 1 & 11 & 10 & -83 \\ 1 & -6 & -5 & 81 \\ 0 & -3 & -3 & 42\end{pmatrix}$$
  2. $$B=\begin{pmatrix}1+a_1 & a_2 & \ldots & a_n \\ a_1 & 1+a_2 & \ldots & a_n \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ a_1 & a_2 & \ldots & 1+a_n\end{pmatrix}$$
  3. $$C=(c_{ij})\in \mathbb{Q}^{n\times n} \text{ with } c_{ij}=\left\{\begin{matrix}
    0 & i=j\\
    1 & i\neq j
    \end{matrix}\right.$$

I have done the following:
  1. $$|A|=\begin{vmatrix}-3 & -11 & -11 & 45 \\ 1 & 11 & 10 & -83 \\ 1 & -6 & -5 & 81 \\ 0 & -3 & -3 & 42\end{vmatrix}=-3\begin{vmatrix} 11 & 10 & -83 \\ -6 & -5 & 81 \\ -3 & -3 & 42\end{vmatrix}-\begin{vmatrix} -11 & -11 & 45 \\ -6 & -5 & 81 \\ -3 & -3 & 42\end{vmatrix}+\begin{vmatrix} -11 & -11 & 45 \\ 11 & 10 & -83 \\ -3 & -3 & 42\end{vmatrix}-0\cdot \begin{vmatrix} -11 & -11 & 45 \\ 11 & 10 & -83 \\ -6 & -5 & 81 \end{vmatrix} =\ldots =42$$

Could you give me a hint how we could calculate the determinant of $B$ and $C$ ? (Wondering)

Physics news on Phys.org
You can use the third elementary row operation (it does not change the determinant) to make as many elements zero as possible in a certain column. For example, in problem 2 you can subtract the last row from all other rows. Then the matrix will become the identity matrix except for the last row and column. Then subtract from the last row the first row multiplied by $a_1$, the second row multiplied by $a_2$ and so on to eliminate all elements of the last row except the bottom right element.

Ah ok! So, we have the following:

2. $$|B|=\begin{vmatrix}1+a_1 & a_2 & \ldots & a_n \\ a_1 & 1+a_2 & \ldots & a_n \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ a_1 & a_2 & \ldots & 1+a_n\end{vmatrix}$$

By the row operation $R_i=R_i-R_n$ for each $i\in \{1, \ldots , n-1\}$ we get
$$|B|=\begin{vmatrix}1 & 0 & \ldots & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & \ldots & -1 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ a_1 & a_2 & \ldots & 1+a_n\end{vmatrix}$$

By the row operation $R_n=R_n-a_1\cdot R_1-a_2\cdot R_2-\ldots -a_{n-1}\cdot R_{n-1}$ we get
$$|B|=\begin{vmatrix}1 & 0 & \ldots & -1 \\ 0 & 1 & \ldots & -1 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 0 & 0 & \ldots & 1+\sum_{i=0}^na_i\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \ldots & -1 \\ \ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 0 & \ldots & 1+\sum_{i=0}^na_i\end{vmatrix}= \ldots =\begin{vmatrix}1 & -1 \\ 0 &1+\sum_{i=0}^na_i\end{vmatrix}=1+\sum_{i=0}^na_i$$

Is this correct? (Wondering) 3. $$|C|=\begin{vmatrix}0 & 1 & \ldots & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & \ldots & 1 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 1 & 1 & \ldots & 0\end{vmatrix}$$

By the row operation $R_1=R_1+R_2+\ldots +R_n$ we get
$$|C|=\begin{vmatrix}n-1 & n-1 & \ldots & n-1 \\ 1 & 0 & \ldots & 1 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 1 & 1 & \ldots & 0\end{vmatrix}=(n-1)\begin{vmatrix}1 & 1 & \ldots & 1 \\ 1 & 0 & \ldots & 1 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 1 & 1 & \ldots & 0\end{vmatrix}$$

By the row operation $R_i=R_i-R_1$ for $i\in \{2, \ldots , n\}$ we get
$$|C|=(n-1)\begin{vmatrix}1 & 1 & \ldots & 1 \\ 0 & -1 & \ldots & 0 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 0 & 0 & \ldots & -1\end{vmatrix}=(n-1)\begin{vmatrix} -1 & \ldots & 0 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 0 & \ldots & -1\end{vmatrix}=(n-1)(-1)^{n-1}\begin{vmatrix} 1 & \ldots & 0 \\ \ldots & \ldots & \ldots \\ 0 & \ldots & 1\end{vmatrix}=(n-1)(-1)^{n-1}|I_{n-1}|=(n-1)(-1)^{n-1}$$

Is this correct? (Wondering)

Suppose we have the matrix $A_n=(A_{ij})\in \mathbb{C}^{n\times n}$ with $a_{ij}=\left\{\begin{matrix}
1 , & i=j\\
-1 , & i=j-1\\
j^2, & i=j+1\\
0 , & \text{ otherwise}
\end{matrix}\right.$ for $1\leq i,j\leq n$.

I want to find the determinant using induction.

I have done the following:

To see the patern I have made some examples:

For $n=2$ we have the matrix $A_2=\begin{pmatrix}1& -1 \\ 1& 1\end{pmatrix}$. The determinant is $|A_2|=\begin{vmatrix}1& -1 \\ 1& 1\end{vmatrix}=2=n(n-1)$.

For $n=3$ we have the matrix $A_3=\begin{pmatrix}1& -1& 0 \\ 1 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 4 & 1\end{pmatrix}$. The determinant is $|A_3|=\begin{vmatrix}1& -1& 0 \\ 1 & 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 4 & 1\end{vmatrix} \ \ \overset{R_2=R_2-R_1}{ = } \ \ \begin{vmatrix}1& -1& 0 \\ 0 & 2 & -1 \\ 0 & 4 & 1\end{vmatrix}=\begin{vmatrix} 2 & -1 \\ 4 & 1\end{vmatrix}=2-(-4)=6=n(n-1)$. So, we want to prove that the determinant is $|A_n|=n(n-1)$, for $n\geq 2$, right? (Wondering) Induction on $n$.

Base case: For $n=2$, as shown above, it holds.

Inductive hypothesis: We suppose that it holds for $n=k$, i.e., $|A_k|=k(k-1)$.

Inductive step: We want to prove it for $n=k+1$, i.e., that it holds that $|A_{k+1}|=(k+1)k$. When we consider the matrix without the last row and without the last column, it is the matrix $A_k$.

But what is the relation between the determinant of $A_k$ and that of $A_{k+1}$ ? (Wondering)

I agree for problems 2 and 3 from post #1. For the problem about induction, you may want to create a new thread.

Evgeny.Makarov said:
I agree for problems 2 and 3 from post #1. For the problem about induction, you may want to create a new thread.

Ok, I will do that.

Thank you very much! (Smile)

1. What is a determinant of a matrix?

A determinant is a numerical value that can be calculated from a square matrix. It represents certain properties of the matrix, such as its volume, area, or transformation behavior.

2. Why is it important to calculate determinants of matrices?

Calculating determinants of matrices is important because it allows us to solve systems of linear equations, find the inverse of a matrix, and determine whether a matrix has a unique solution or not. It is also used in other areas of mathematics, such as in calculating probabilities and in physics.

3. How do you calculate the determinant of a 2x2 matrix?

The determinant of a 2x2 matrix can be calculated using the formula ad - bc, where a, b, c, and d are the elements of the matrix arranged in a square. For example, the determinant of the matrix [[a, b], [c, d]] would be (ad - bc).

4. What is the process for finding the determinant of a larger matrix?

To find the determinant of a larger matrix, you can use various methods such as expansion by minors, row operations, or using a calculator or computer program. These methods involve breaking down the matrix into smaller matrices and using the properties of determinants to simplify the calculation.

5. Are there any special properties or rules for calculating determinants of matrices?

Yes, there are several properties and rules that can make calculating determinants easier. Some of these include the rule of triangular matrices, the rule of scalar multiplication, and the rule of transposition. It is important to familiarize yourself with these properties and rules when calculating determinants of matrices.