What is the determinant of a matrix with a zero column?

In summary, the problem involves an nxn matrix with specific forms for its sub-matrices, and we are asked to show that if one of the sub-matrices is equal to zero, then the determinant of the entire matrix is equal to the product of the determinants of the other sub-matrices. This can be proven using cofactor expansion and by considering specific permutations of the matrix elements.
Kate2010

Homework Statement

A is an nxn matrix. Suppose A has the form ([tex]^{U}_{W}[/tex][tex]^{V}_{X}[/tex]) in which U, V, W, X are n1xn1, n1x n2, n2xn1 and n2xn2 matrices respectively, such that n1 + n2 = n. If V=0, show that detA = detUdetX

Homework Equations

detA := [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to go about this. If I expand along the 1st row I will get each of the u entries of the first row multiplied by their minor and sign summed together, and the v coefficients will all be zero. I don't know how to write this using the correct notation or where I would go from here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I would try showing this using cofactor expansion, specifically along a row/column with a lot of zeros (so you are only dealing with one term).

Is this true?

Let [tex]\rho[/tex] act on (1 2 ... n1) and [tex]\sigma[/tex] act on (n1+1 ... n1 + n2)

So detU = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex]
and detX [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\sigma[/tex]

detA = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho\sigma[/tex]
= [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex] x[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\sigma[/tex]
=detUdetX

1. What are determinants?

Determinants are a mathematical concept used in linear algebra to calculate the unique number associated with a square matrix. It is used to determine whether a matrix is invertible or not.

2. How do you calculate the determinant of a matrix?

The determinant of a square matrix can be calculated by using the cofactor expansion method or the row or column reduction method. For a 2x2 matrix, the determinant can be calculated by multiplying the top left and bottom right elements and subtracting the product of the top right and bottom left elements.

3. What is the significance of determinants in mathematics?

Determinants have various applications in mathematics, including solving systems of linear equations, finding the inverse of a matrix, and calculating the area and volume of shapes in geometry.

4. How does multiplication affect the determinant of a matrix?

Multiplying a matrix by a scalar value will result in the determinant being multiplied by the same scalar value. When multiplying two matrices, the determinant of the resulting matrix will be the product of the determinants of the two original matrices.

5. Can the determinant of a matrix be negative?

Yes, the determinant of a matrix can be negative, positive, or zero. It depends on the values of the elements in the matrix and their arrangement. A negative determinant indicates that the matrix is invertible, while a zero determinant means the matrix is singular and has no inverse.