1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinants, multiplication

1. Jan 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A is an nxn matrix. Suppose A has the form ([tex]^{U}_{W}[/tex][tex]^{V}_{X}[/tex]) in which U, V, W, X are n1xn1, n1x n2, n2xn1 and n2xn2 matrices respectively, such that n1 + n2 = n. If V=0, show that detA = detUdetX

2. Relevant equations

detA := [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I don't really know how to go about this. If I expand along the 1st row I will get each of the u entries of the first row multiplied by their minor and sign summed together, and the v coefficients will all be zero. I don't know how to write this using the correct notation or where I would go from here.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2010 #2
    I would try showing this using cofactor expansion, specifically along a row/column with a lot of zeros (so you are only dealing with one term).

4. Jan 31, 2010 #3
    Is this true?

Let [tex]\rho[/tex] act on (1 2 ... n1) and [tex]\sigma[/tex] act on (n1+1 ... n1 + n2)

So detU = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex]
    and detX [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\sigma[/tex]

detA = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho\sigma[/tex]
    = [tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\rho\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\rho[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\rho[/tex] x[tex]\sum[/tex] [tex]_{\sigma\in sym(n)}[/tex] sign ([tex]\sigma[/tex])[tex]\Pi[/tex] ai i[tex]\sigma[/tex]
    =detUdetX

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook