1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determinate Algebra Question

1. Oct 18, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If A and B are 3 x 3 matrices satisfying det(2A(B^-1)) = -20 and det((A^2)(B(transpose))) = 50, find det(A) and det(B)

2. Relevant equations

None

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not quite sure how to do the question at all. I've just been guessing the determinants and seeing if it satisfies the two equations. I found that det(A) = -5 and det(B) = 2, but I just guessed.

How can I work this out?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Use the facts that det(AB)= det(A)det(B), and that det(A transpose)= det(A) so that 2det(A)/det(B)= -20 and (det(A)2)det(B)= 50 so that you have two equations to solve for det(A) and det(B). (And det(A)= -5, det(B)= 2 is not correct. 2(-5)/(2)= -5, not -20.)

Can you solve 2x/y= -20 and x2y= 50?

And, the word is "determinant", not "determinate".

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the quick reply.

I'm not sure that's how you solve this question because the answer in the book is det(A) = 5 and det(B) = 2, which would make my answer wrong as well.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook