Determination of a magnetic field with kinematics

In summary, the conversation discusses a setup for measuring magnetic field using a rectangular coil of wire suspended between the poles of a magnet. The system is balanced when the current in the coil is zero, but when a current is passed through the coil, a mass must be added to balance the system. The equation B = (mg)/(NIw) is used to calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field, taking into account the number of turns in the coil. The resistance in the circuit does not affect the B field.
scoldham

Homework Statement

The figure attached illustrates a setup that can be used to measure the magnetic field. A rectangular coil of wire contains N turns and has a width w. The coil is attached to the one arm of a balance and is suspended between the poles of a magnet. the field is uniform and perpendicular to the plane of the coil. The system is first balanced when the current in the coil is zero. When the switch is closed and the coil carries a current I, a mass m must be added to the right side to balance the system. Suppose the coil has 50 turn and width of 5.00 cm. When the switch is closed, the coil carries a current of 0.3 A, and a mass of 20 g must be added to the right side to balance the system. What is the magnitude of the magnetic field?

Homework Equations

[tex]F = I B l[/tex]

[tex]F = m a[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Setting up a force balance and working the above equations has gotten me to this point:

[tex]B = \frac{m g}{I l}[/tex]

Thus, the magnetic field. However, I'm not sure where the "50 turns" comes into play... plus there's a resistor int he diagram. I cannot help but to think these come into play some how that I am missing...

Do the turns generate a back emf? If so, how does that affect the B field... does it affect it all?

Attachments

• Magnetic Field Problem.PNG
    Magnetic Field Problem.PNG
    4.7 KB · Views: 885
Physics news on Phys.org
You are correct that the force on the wire is BIL (L=w in this example)
But that would be for a single wire. In a coil of 50 turns, each separate strand of the wire will experience this force. I don't think the resistance in the circuit has any relevance to this question.

The only relationship I can find where coils come into play is with the flux and emf.

[tex]\epsilon = -N \frac{d \Phi_B}{d t}[/tex]

Even working on that equation a little doesn't give me any good relationship defining how N affects the B field. Is there an equation I'm missing?

The force in question acts downwards on the lower horizontal side of the square coil. As you said in you 1st post, and I confirmed, the force on a single wire of length L in a field B is F=BIL
That's BIw in this question where I and w are given.
However, there are 50 wires in the coil and each one experiences the same force.
So the total downwards force on the lower side of the coil is 50 times BIw.
There is no force on the upper side of the coil because it is not in the field. There is no downward or upward force on the vertical sides of the coil because the current in them is such that the force is to the left or right.
When the system is balanced, there is no induced emf because there is no motion.
So the mg of the mass is balanced by the downward force on the lower side of the coil.

So it is as simple as:

[tex]B = \frac{mg}{N I l} [/tex]

?

scoldham said:
So it is as simple as:

[tex]B = \frac{mg}{N I l} [/tex]

?

It appears so. The whole "coil" thing is a bit of a sidetrack and confuses the issue. The question is just about the force on that lower side of the square. The diagram gives it away, as the coil is not completely in the magnetic field. It it were, the upward force on the upper side, would balance the downward force on the lower side and absolutly nothing would happen.

Great! I'll give this a shot and hope for the best.

Thank you for your assistance.

1. What is the method used for determining a magnetic field with kinematics?

The method used for determining a magnetic field with kinematics is called the Hall effect. This involves measuring the deflection of charged particles in an electric field perpendicular to a magnetic field.

2. How is the strength of the magnetic field calculated using kinematics?

The strength of the magnetic field can be calculated using the formula B = (F/qv)d, where B is the magnetic field strength, F is the force on the charged particle, q is the charge of the particle, v is its velocity, and d is the distance between the electric and magnetic fields.

3. What type of materials can be used for determining a magnetic field using kinematics?

Materials that are good conductors of electricity, such as metals, are typically used for determining a magnetic field using kinematics. This is because they have a high density of free charges that can be easily deflected by the magnetic field.

4. What are the limitations of using kinematics for determining a magnetic field?

One limitation of using kinematics is that it can only measure the magnetic field at a single point. This means that for more complex magnetic fields, multiple measurements may need to be taken and combined to get an accurate overall measurement. Additionally, this method is only applicable to charged particles, so it cannot be used for neutral materials.

5. How accurate is the determination of a magnetic field using kinematics?

The accuracy of the determination of a magnetic field using kinematics depends on various factors such as the precision of the equipment used, the homogeneity of the magnetic field, and the skill of the operator. With proper calibration and careful measurements, this method can provide accurate results within a few percent of the actual value.