1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determination of a Potential

1. Nov 5, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

I need to determine the potential of the following function:

[tex]F = [2x(y^3 - z^3), 3x^2y^2, -3x^2z^2][/tex]

The equation is given to be independent of path, and [tex]F \cdot dr = 0[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x} = 2xy^3 - 2xz^3 \Rightarrow f(x,y,z) = x^2y^3 - x^2z^3 + g(y,z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y} = 3x^2y^2 = 3x^2y^2 + \frac{\partial g}{\partial y} \Rightarrow g(y,z) = h(z)[/tex]

[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -3x^2z^2 = \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} \Rightarrow h(z) = -x^2z^3[/tex]

So, [tex]f(x,y,z) = x^2y^3 - 2x^2z^3[/tex]

This answer doesn't check out. Taking the partial of f with respect to x, y, and z does not yield the initial equation. What am I missing? Is there a better way to go about this?

The correct answer turns out to be [tex]x^2y^3 - x^2z^3[/tex], which is my initial equation for f without h(z).

Thanks!

Last edited: Nov 5, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 5, 2007 #2

I think you got this line wrong

4. Nov 5, 2007 #3
    ^ OK...what am I missing?

Working backwards...

[tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial z}(-x^2z^3) = -3x^2z^2[/tex]

5. Nov 5, 2007 #4
    [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial z} = -3x^2z^2 = -3x^2z^2 + \frac{\partial h}{\partial z} \Rightarrow h(z) = 0 [/tex]

Im having trouble with latex, but your partial f over partial z which is -3x^2z^2 = -3x^2z^2 + partial h over partial z. so, h(z) = 0=g(y,x)

Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  6. Nov 6, 2007 #5
    ^ Ahh...got it. I really shouldn't be doing this so late at night. :) Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?