Determination of the glucose content in hot beverages

In summary, the sugar content in a hot beverage can be measured using non-intrusive methods. NMR/MRI is the most common method, but it is not always affordable. Other methods include measuring sucrose or fructose, and measuring the refractive index. If very tiny quantities would be taken (micro-litres), you would try mass spectrometry.
Harini Krishna
<mentor - moved to Engineering>
Hi,

I would like to know how the glucose content can be measuring in hot beverages using non-intrusive method.

Thankyou

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This question would fare better in Engineering. You will probably be asked what you mean by non-intrusive.
Here is a head start:
non-intrusive == you cannot touch the liquid or the container with a probe or device?

Harini Krishna said:
<mentor - moved to Engineering>
Hi,

I would like to know how the glucose content can be measuring in hot beverages using non-intrusive method.

Thankyou
Would NMR/MRI do it? Not cheap, though.

Aroma?

There is no boiling point for glucose. It changes into a liquid from crystalline form at the same temperature, 295 °F, as its decomposition point. So, it can not exist as a stable liquid that can boil. Smelling it in steam does not seem like it would work. The glucose van’t Hoff number is 1.0 - meaning it does not dissociate in solution. So, unless water particles with glucose molecules are in the air around the container (from agitation?) , I do not see a practical way to detect them. I do not think there is a partial pressure for glucose to make it a volatile component.

from -
https://opentextbc.ca/chemistry/chapter/11-4-colligative-properties/
and wikipedia -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GlucoseThis is why I did not answer to start with - I'm not much help. Just raining on the parade. How about infared sensing? Or refractometry - if the liquid is always optically clear and is the same product, just with +/- glucose levels?

berkeman said:
Would NMR/MRI do it? Not cheap, though.

NMR would do it but most of the studies i have read online have maintained a constant temperature during the process.
Does temperature changes effect the measurements through NMR/MRI?

TeethWhitener said:
The mutarotation equilibrium changes with temperature, which is observable in NMR. This paper might help:
https://www.jstage.jst.go.jp/article/apcche/2004/0/2004_0_110/_pdf
Very helpful, thanks @TeethWhitener :smile:

From your link:
1579102195118.png

Looks like this is the type of NMR Spectrometer that was used (the picture is from a different university's lab:
https://scs.illinois.edu/sites/default/files/images/ui300-1-small.jpg
1579102729942.png

Attachments

• 1579102227436.png
    1579102227436.png
    75.5 KB · Views: 303
Last edited:
Likes jim mcnamara
Maybe weigh the sample and calculate its relative density? Sugar content for brewing is done using a hydrometer to measure SG.
Alternatively, place the sample in a waveguide and measure the electrical characteristics.

Harini Krishna said:
How does the glucose get into the beverage?
Do you want something highly specific for glucose only?

The sugar added to a beverage will probably be sucrose = ( glucose + fructose ). Do you want to include the glucose present in sucrose molecules, with or without the fructose?

NMR would have trouble separating the free glucose from the sucrose.
Specific gravity or refractive index are used to estimate crude sugar content = Brix.

Likes epenguin
Baluncore said:
How does the glucose get into the beverage?
Do you want something highly specific for glucose only?

The sugar added to a beverage will probably be sucrose = ( glucose + fructose ). Do you want to include the glucose present in sucrose molecules, with or without the fructose?

NMR would have trouble separating the free glucose from the sucrose.
Specific gravity or refractive index are used to estimate crude sugar content = Brix.

I do not want anything specific with glucose.
I wanted to measure the total sugar content in beverages using non-intrusive method. I tried searching online but couldn't fine many methods . Most of the methods were for glucose.
Can sucrose or fructose be measured to determine the total sugar content in the beverages?

Harini Krishna said:
Can sucrose or fructose be measured to determine the total sugar content in the beverages?
"Sucrose is common sugar. It is a disaccharide, a molecule composed of two monosaccharides: glucose and fructose". See; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sucrose

If you could take a one drop sample from the spoon used to stir a hot beverage, then a Brix measurement of Refractive Index could be done quickly and cheaply.
Search; Sugar Meter, Refractometer, Portable Brix Detector, Handheld Sugar Meter. US$20.

Given your remote measurement requirement, you are forced to stand back. The obvious technique would be to measure the RI through a measurement of Brewster's Angle using the polarisation of reflected light.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brewster's_angle

Likes Vigardo
Hi Harini, if in the beverage there are many different substances, some of the methods above cited will hardly work or be very expensive.

If very tiny quantities would be taken (micro-litres), you would try mass spectrometry. This in not strictly "non-intrusive", but it would do the job for a fraction of the cost of a NMR facility. You have here an example applied to glucose detection in tears. It would even work with nano-drops of beverage.

In addition, there must be elsewhere some enzymatic glucose test that for very small samples and high sensitivity.

Last edited:
Polarimetry springs to mind for concentration of sugars, though for mixtures it would be ambiguous.
I don't know how easy it is to find basic reference data, but you could always do your own calibration for the sugars you're interested in. Methods and theory are widely discussed.

I haven't worked out why you want a "non-intrusive method", or really what you mean by that. It might help if you were a little clearer about what you are doing.
If you are making cups of coffee and don't want to rob the customer of even 1ml, then if your production method is standard, just divert one cup every so often to check that the amount of sugar you put in is actually reaching the cup. If you have a continuous flow production, then equally remove a sample occasionally: that won't intrude nor affect the quality of the main flow. The cost of testing is going to be several orders of magnitude more than the value of lost product.
Equally, if it's an automatic beverage machine, it's probably much better to improve the production process, rather than monitor varying quality outputs. "You can't test quality into a product".

This author correlated the capacitance of ripe fruit with brix. Non contact technique but not proven at elevated temperatures. Also the container would probably need to chosen carefully.

1. How is the glucose content in hot beverages determined?

The glucose content in hot beverages can be determined through a process called spectrophotometry. This involves measuring the amount of light absorbed by a sample of the beverage at a specific wavelength, which is then used to calculate the glucose concentration.

2. Why is it important to determine the glucose content in hot beverages?

Determining the glucose content in hot beverages is important for several reasons. Firstly, it allows us to monitor the sugar content in our drinks, which can affect our overall health. Additionally, it is important for quality control in the production of beverages, as well as for regulatory purposes.

3. What factors can affect the accuracy of the glucose content determination?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the glucose content determination in hot beverages. These include the type and quality of the spectrophotometer used, the wavelength at which the absorbance is measured, and any interfering substances present in the beverage.

4. Can the glucose content be determined in any type of hot beverage?

Yes, the glucose content can be determined in any type of hot beverage, including coffee, tea, and hot chocolate. However, the specific method and procedure may vary depending on the type of beverage and the desired accuracy of the measurement.

5. Are there any alternative methods for determining the glucose content in hot beverages?

Yes, there are alternative methods for determining the glucose content in hot beverages, such as enzymatic assays or chromatography. However, spectrophotometry is the most commonly used method due to its accuracy, simplicity, and cost-effectiveness.