1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Determine a constant K

1. Mar 29, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Hello out there...

I've kinda figured this out, but I'm not quite sure how tbh.

I got this problem:
    http://www.gratisupload.dk/download/41959/" [Broken]

The length a is constant, but b varies in time like this:

[tex]\[b\left( t \right)=a\left( 1+{{\left( \frac{t}{\tau } \right)}^{2}}-2{{\left( \frac{t}{\tau } \right)}^{3}} \right),\][/tex]
    where [itex]\tau[/itex] is a timeconstant. Besides that I know that for t < 0 then b = a, and for t > [itex]\tau[/itex] then b = 2a.

The magnetic fields produced by the current in the conductors (I1 and I2) gives a magnetic flux through the rectangular loop of:

[tex]{{\Phi }_{B}}=K\cdot b\left( t \right)[/tex]

Determine the constant K.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]B=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}I}{2\pi r}[/tex]

[tex]d{{\Phi }_{B}}=BdA=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}I}{2\pi }L\,dr,[/tex]
    where L is b(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

What I've done is as following:

[tex]\[{{\Phi }_{B}}=\int_{a}^{3a}{BdA}=\int_{a}^{3a}{\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}_{1}}}{2\pi }b\left( t \right)\,dr}+\int_{a}^{3a}{\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}{{I}_{2}}}{2\pi }b\left( t \right)\,dr}=-\frac{a{{\mu }_{0}}\left( {{I}_{1}}+{{I}_{2}} \right)\ln \left( 3 \right)\left( 2{{t}^{3}}-3\tau {{t}^{2}}-{{\tau }^{3}} \right)}{2\pi {{\tau }^{3}}}\][/tex]

Putting this equal the magnetic flux I know, and then solving for K, I get:

[tex]K=\frac{{{\mu }_{0}}\left( {{I}_{1}}+{{I}_{2}} \right)\ln \left( 3 \right)}{2\pi },[/tex]
    which supposedly is the correct answer according to my book.

But what I don't understand is, that when I tried the limits a to 2a, which seems more obviously to me, I get ln(2) instead of ln(3). So I don't understand why the limits should be a to 3a instead - if I've even done it correctly in the first place.

So I thought one of you might knew :)

Regards.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2010 #2
    No one ? :(

4. Mar 29, 2010 #3
    What happened to the 'r' in the denominator of your flux? You aren't dealing with a circle so you shouldn't use polar coordinates for your area. You will be dealing with cartesian coords since you have a rectangle.

Also, why did you choose the limits that you chose? In the figure that you posted it looks like r goes from a/2 to 3a/2.

And why are you adding the fluxes from both wires. I would double check this by drawing the magnetic field vectors from both wires to see what directions they are both pointing.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook