Determine acceleration of a 2D shape when pushed from any point in its area

In summary, the conversation revolved around designing a user interface with a physics component, specifically focusing on the movement and rotation of a piece of paper on a table. The problem at hand was determining the complete movement of the paper given its starting location and rotation, and the start and end points of a finger moving across its surface. The conversation also touched on the use of velocity and angular velocity, as well as the concepts of moment of inertia and torque. The speaker suggested consulting with a physics expert for further assistance.
eegg
I'm designing a user interface for the web, and it has a physics component. I'm no physicist, but I've got some way towards specifying the problem. Hopefully, someone can help me fully understand it.

Here's the scenario. A piece of paper is on the table at a specific location and rotation. You place your finger on any point on the paper's surface, then move your finger across the table to a second point. The paper moves with your finger, coming to rest at a new location and rotation.

The problem: given the starting location and rotation, plus the start and end points of your finger, how do we completely determine the movement of the paper? (Is the problem completely specified so that there is an answer?)

My intention is that this scenario, simulated on screen, will be the basis of a naturalistic user interface in which one can translate *and* rotate 2D objects using *only* click-and-drag. I've made prototypes which are not physically accurate, but I'm not satisfied.

I've partially thought it through; I think that:

* The state of the shape can be specified as velocity and angular velocity around a point, with a simulation of friction bringing it to a stop.
* The acceleration imparted by the finger must be broken into two components: toward the center of mass, and perpendicular to it.

I don't think this is the full story though. I need to ensure that the shape is always "pinned" at the finger. E.g., I move the paper across the table, then stop but keep my finger there: all velocity the paper has is converted to rotation about the finger.

A further problem is that I don't understand how acceleration/velocity is converted to angular velocity under this constraint.

Can someone help me out or point in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello,

As a scientist with a background in physics, I can help you with your problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the basic principles involved, but there are a few key concepts that will help you fully understand the movement of the paper.

Firstly, you are correct in thinking that the state of the paper can be described by its velocity and angular velocity. However, there are a few other factors that come into play. One is the moment of inertia, which is a measure of how difficult it is to rotate an object around a specific axis. This will depend on the shape and mass distribution of the paper.

Secondly, the force applied by your finger will not only have a component towards the center of mass, but also a torque component. This torque will cause the paper to rotate around its center of mass.

To ensure that the paper is always "pinned" at the finger, you will need to apply a force and torque that counteract the paper's movement and rotation. This can be achieved by using a virtual pivot point at the location of the finger, and calculating the appropriate forces and torques to keep the paper in place.

As for converting acceleration/velocity to angular velocity, there are equations that relate these quantities, taking into account the moment of inertia. However, in order to fully determine the movement of the paper, you will also need to consider the friction between the paper and the table, which will affect its velocity and angular velocity.

I suggest consulting with a physics textbook or seeking assistance from a physics expert to fully understand and implement the physics component of your user interface. Good luck with your project!

1. How do you calculate the acceleration of a 2D shape when pushed from any point in its area?

The acceleration of a 2D shape can be calculated using the formula a = F/m, where a is the acceleration, F is the force applied, and m is the mass of the shape. In this case, the force applied would be the force at the point of push and the mass would be the mass of the entire shape.

2. What factors affect the acceleration of a 2D shape when pushed from any point in its area?

The acceleration of a 2D shape can be affected by several factors. These include the magnitude and direction of the force applied, the mass and distribution of mass of the shape, and any external forces or friction acting on the shape.

3. Can the acceleration of a 2D shape be negative?

Yes, the acceleration of a 2D shape can be negative. This indicates that the shape is decelerating or slowing down in the opposite direction of the applied force. It is important to consider the direction of acceleration when analyzing the motion of a 2D shape.

4. How does the shape of the object affect its acceleration when pushed from any point in its area?

The shape of the object can play a role in its acceleration when pushed from any point in its area. Objects with a larger surface area or irregular shape may experience more air resistance, which can affect their acceleration. Additionally, the distribution of mass in the shape can also impact its acceleration.

5. Are there any other factors that can influence the acceleration of a 2D shape when pushed from any point in its area?

Yes, there may be other factors that can influence the acceleration of a 2D shape when pushed from any point in its area. These may include the surface on which the shape is being pushed, the angle at which the force is applied, and any other external forces acting on the shape.