1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Average Velocity

1. Mar 5, 2006 #1
    Hi everyone,

Im doing a Math Dynamics course as an independant study and alot I have to teach myself. One problem im stuck on I dont seem to know how to start it or which formula to use. The book has all the formulas but I dont know how to start...

question asks:

"A particle travels along a straight line such that in 2 s it moves from an initial position Sa = +0.5m to a position Sb = -1.5m. Then in another 4 s it moves from Sb to Sc = +2.5m. Determine the particle's average velocity and average speed during the 6-s time interval."

Im so lost please help :yuck:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 5, 2006 #2
    For Average velocity

Find the final displacement of the particle from the initial position. Then divide this by the total time taken.

For average speed

Find the total distance travelled by the particle. Divide this by the total time taken.

4. Mar 6, 2006 #3
    One of the main points physicsprasanna is implicitly making, is that velocity takes into account the direction.
    Speed does not.

5. Mar 6, 2006 #4
    Ok thanks I'll try to work that out.

If any more comments feel free. :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?