Determine Bolt Size for 4-Stroke Engine Project

• Thread starter andreask
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolt
In summary, the conversation discusses a project on a 4 stroke engine and specifically focuses on proving that the bolts between the cylinder and cylinder head have the correct size. Information such as the maximum pressure in the cylinder, tightening torque, and bolt dimensions are given. The individual has calculated the stiffness of the bolts and the cylinder, and is now attempting to calculate the deflection and draw a deflection diagram. There is discussion about the maximum force in the cylinder and how it relates to finding the deflection. The conversation also touches upon the importance of the preload tension being greater than the force due to pressure in order to prevent the head from breaking the seal.
andreask

Homework Statement

Hi
We have a project on third semester where we should calculate different things on a 4 stroke engine.
My assignment is to prove that the bolts between the cylinder and the cylinder head has the right size.

The following information is given:

Maximum pressure in cylinder: 59.5 bar
Tightening torque: 25 Nm
Bolt: M8x125 DIN EN ISO 4014
and all the dimensions on the cylinder and the cylinder head

So far, I've calculated the stiffness of the bolts and the cylinder (assuming that the cylinder is a pipe)
I want to calculate the deflection and then draw a deflection diagram but I'm stuck

Homework Equations

k_b = F_b / δ_b , where k_b = stiffness, F_b = the load and δ_b = displacement

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that the maximum force in the cylinder can be defined by F_max = p_max * A_max
but should I use that force to find the deflection?
or maybe the force ratio * F_max ??

Andreas

Physics news on Phys.org
Not really my field so I may have the wrong approach but..

I was looking at it from the point of view of the net force on the head. There are two forces...

1) the preload tension on the bolts (downwards)
2) the force due to the pressure in the cylinder (upwards)

If the net force on the head is upwards the head will accelerate upwards away from the block breaking the seal. So in short the preload force must be greater than the force due to the pressure.

The force due to the pressure in the cylinder is easy enough to calculate (pressure * area of cylinder bore) but I don't know how to calculate the tension in the bolts from the applied tightening torque.

What is the purpose of determining bolt size for a 4-stroke engine project?

The bolt size plays a crucial role in the structural integrity and performance of the engine. It ensures that all components are securely fastened together, preventing any loose parts or potential hazards.

How do I determine the correct bolt size for my 4-stroke engine project?

The bolt size is determined by the diameter and length of the bolt. You will need to measure the diameter of the bolt hole and the length of the bolt, and then refer to a bolt size chart to find the appropriate size. Alternatively, you can consult with a mechanical engineer for accurate calculations.

Can I use any type of bolt for my 4-stroke engine project?

No, it is essential to use high-quality, durable bolts that are specifically designed for engines. These bolts are made of materials that can withstand high temperatures, vibrations, and other stresses that an engine may experience. Using the wrong type of bolt can lead to engine failure and potential safety hazards.

Is the bolt size the same for all parts of the 4-stroke engine?

No, different parts of the engine may require different bolt sizes. It is crucial to refer to the engine's specifications and diagrams to determine the appropriate bolt size for each component.

Can I use bigger or smaller bolts than the recommended size for my 4-stroke engine project?

It is not recommended to use bolts that are significantly bigger or smaller than the recommended size. Using smaller bolts may not provide enough strength and could lead to engine failure, while using larger bolts can cause threading issues and damage to the engine's components. Always use the correct bolt size for optimal performance and safety.