Determine currents ib and ia

In summary, the problem involves determining the values of ib and ia using the given information of Ix, R1, R2, R3, and R4. The equations for voltage and current are used to set up a system of equations with 4 unknowns. The independent current source and its voltage are causing confusion, but it can be solved by calculating Vx using Ix and the resistance values.
Cisneros778

Homework Statement

Nilsson-p3.26.png

Determine ib and ia

Ix = 0.4 mA, R1 = 15k ohm, R2 = 19k ohm, R3 = 23k ohm, R4 = 15k ohm

Homework Equations

V=IR

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming there are 4 unknown currents in this diagram.
Ix splits into ib and i1.

0.4mA - ib - i1 = 0
i1 - i2 = ia

R2*ib - Vo + R1*(0.4mA - ib) = 0

R3*ia + R4*(0.4mA - ia) = 0

I am confused about the independent current source. In some problems, I have seen it carry a voltage. So if I include a voltage in my analysis for that loop I will have another unknown.

Vx(0.4mA) + R1(0.4mA - ib) + R3(ia) = 0

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Vx can be calculated from Ix and the series/parallel combination of the resistors. Then Ia and Ib are easily calculated.

Thank you, that makes sense

1. What is the difference between ib and ia currents?

Ib and ia currents are both types of electrical currents, but they flow in opposite directions. Ib represents the current flowing into a component or circuit, while ia represents the current flowing out of a component or circuit.

2. How do you determine the value of ib and ia currents?

The value of ib and ia currents can be determined using Ohm's Law, which states that current (I) is equal to voltage (V) divided by resistance (R). Therefore, to determine ib and ia, you will need to know the voltage and resistance values in the circuit.

3. Can ib and ia currents change over time?

Yes, ib and ia currents can change over time. This is known as alternating current (AC), where the direction of the current changes periodically. In contrast, direct current (DC) has a constant direction and does not change over time.

4. What factors can affect the value of ib and ia currents?

The value of ib and ia currents can be affected by various factors, including the voltage source, the resistance of the circuit, and the type of component being used. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the value of ib and ia currents.

5. How are ib and ia currents used in practical applications?

Ib and ia currents are used in many practical applications, such as in electronic circuits, electric motors, and power distribution systems. These currents are essential for powering devices and allowing them to function properly.