1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine Enthalpy, Entropy, and Chemical Potential

1. Dec 12, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hello, i am given an isothermal transition for nitrogen, N2, where temperature is constant at 700K, p1=1bar, and p2=100bar.
    For this problem i am not allowed to use any equations of states, such as Benedict-Webb-Rubin, or Beattie-Bridgeman. Rather i am given only Cp data, which is in the table below. From only this data below for nitrogen i must determine the Enthalpy, Entropy, and Chemical Potential for the transition phase.
    I am also given the equation below, which im not too sure how to apply it to the problem.

2. Relevant equations
    R*T (a + b v^-1 + c v^-2 + d v^-3)
    DIHRyEW.png

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 12, 2016 #2

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Start with definitions of the ΔH, ΔS and ΔG.

4. Dec 12, 2016 #3
    What are dh, ds, and dg in terms of dT and dP?

5. Dec 12, 2016 #4
    ##\Delta G## is easy, but I still haven't figured out how to get ##\Delta H## and ##\Delta S##. Are you sure this is the only information they give you? Do they provide any information at any other temperature?

6. Dec 12, 2016 #5
    I'm guessing that the expression appearing above the table is the functional form they are recommending for the pressure. This is the equation of state. Am I correct?

Last edited: Dec 12, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted