1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine its maximum angular displacement

1. Apr 28, 2008 #1
    [SOLVED] Simple Pendulum

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A simple pendulum with a length of 1.23 m and a mass of 6.64 kg is given an initial speed of 1.96 m/s at its equilibrium position.
    (a) Assuming it undergoes simple harmonic motion, determine its period.
    (b) Determine its total energy.
    (c) Determine its maximum angular displacement. (For large v, and/or small l, the small angle approximation may not be good enough here.)

3. The attempt at a solution
    I have solved up to part c), and I can't figure out how to set it up. I thought at first it was
    .5mv^2 = mgh and then solving for h, but once I get h I am not sure what to do. Can someone help me get this set up? Thanks.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 28, 2008 #2

Homework Helper

That is what you want to do. So the pendulum bob is now at a height h (what is the value?) above the bottom of the pendulum's arc. Draw a picture of the pendulum tilted off the vertical so that the length of the pendulum is 1.23 m and the bob is at a height h from the lowest point of the swing. The pendulum shaft is now the hypotenuse of a right triangle. What must the altitude of that triangle be? From that, how do you find the apex angle of that triangle?
  4. Apr 28, 2008 #3
    Excellent, made sense. Thanks for the help
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?