1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine P(Y>0.5|Y>X^2)

1. Jul 24, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

X and Y are independant and uniformly distributed on the unit interval (0, 1)

Determine P(Y>0.5|Y>X^2)
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I set it up as the following: [tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cup Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)}
    = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]

for the final answer I got ~0.6465. Did I make any mistakes?

The only thing that's bugging me is whether or not x is properly bounded in the integral. In the question y > x^2, so I assumed the square root of y is also greater than x. And since x is between 0 and 1, I believe that 0<x<sqrt(y)

Last edited: Jul 24, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 24, 2009 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Your answer looks fine to me, but the union in this probability
    [tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cup Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)} = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]
    should be an intersection
    [tex]\frac{P(Y > 0.5 \cap Y > X^2)}{P(Y > X^2)} = \frac{\int^1_{1/2} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}{\int^1_{0} \int^{\sqrt{y}}_0 dx dy}[/tex]

4. Jul 24, 2009 #3
    Thanks for the correction.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook