Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine prime in non-UFD

1. Sep 17, 2012 #1
    I am trying to prove that [itex]11[/itex] is a prime in [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex].

I noticed that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] is not a UFD so I cannot show that it is irreducible then conclude it is prime.

I know that that an ideal is prime if and only if the quotient ring is a domain.
    I was wondering if it is correct for me to show that
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex]
    If this is true then I can conclude that [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] is a domain because
    [itex]\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)[/itex] is a finite field.
    Thank you

EDIT: OMG, Made a huge typo originally. The ring is [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{-5}][/itex] not [itex]\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}][/itex]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 17, 2012 #2

You could conclude that if you can show the isomorphism [itex]\,\mathbb{Z}[\sqrt{5}]/(11)\cong\mathbb{Z}_{11}[x]/(x^2+1)\,[/itex] .

In fact, you'd conclude something stronger: the ideal [itex]\,(11)\subset \Bbb Z[\sqrt 5]\,[/itex] is then maximal and thus prime.

DonAntonio

4. Sep 17, 2012 #3

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

i guess the first step for me would be to try to find a square root of -5 in the ring Z11.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook