Determine resistance of a generator

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of calculating the resistance of an electrical generator by using the Lorentz force formula. The formula requires knowledge of the electric field, particle velocity, magnetic field, and electric charge. However, the original poster only knows the required RPM for a certain voltage to be generated and is unsure if this information is enough to calculate the force. The conversation suggests that knowing the current, as well as references from UNSW, may help in determining the other required values for the calculation.
Ry122
What formula can I use to determine the resistance of an electrical generator?

Physics news on Phys.org
by resistance i mean the force from the magnets that is slowing down the rotation of the coils.

since no one has replied i guess its safe to assume its not possible to calculate.

It is most definitely possible to calculate the force, it is a simple application of the the Lorentz force.

Perhaps no one replied because you don't seem to have put any effort into trying to figure it out yourself.

http://users.on.net/~rohanlal/58c2b8b14b73d2bafeaaafb80b4a5491.jpg
This is the Lorentz formula. It requires me to know the electric field,the particle velocity, magnetic field and the electic charge. I know none of these values.
All I know is how many rpm are required for a certain voltage to be generated.
Is it possible to calculate the force generated with just this information?

Last edited by a moderator:
You would also know, or could work out the current, which is the rate of flow of charge.

With that would I be able to determine the other required values?

Ry122 said:
With that would I be able to determine the other required values?
http://www.physclips.unsw.edu.au/jw/electricmotors.html#mandg" is a good reference from the UNSW.

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't a homemade generator so i don't know the number of windings in the coil or the area of the coil.

1. What is resistance in a generator?

Resistance in a generator refers to the opposition that the generator's components, such as wires and coils, offer to the flow of electrical current. It is measured in ohms and can affect the efficiency and performance of the generator.

2. How do you determine the resistance of a generator?

The resistance of a generator can be determined by measuring the voltage and current in the circuit and using Ohm's Law (R=V/I) to calculate the resistance. Alternatively, specialized equipment such as a multimeter or Wheatstone bridge can be used.

3. Why is it important to determine the resistance of a generator?

Knowing the resistance of a generator allows us to understand the flow of electricity in the system and ensure that it is functioning properly. It also helps us identify any potential issues or inefficiencies in the generator that may need to be addressed.

4. What factors can affect the resistance of a generator?

The resistance of a generator can be affected by factors such as the length and thickness of the wires, the temperature of the components, and the material used for the wires and coils. The design and construction of the generator can also impact its resistance.

5. Can the resistance of a generator change over time?

Yes, the resistance of a generator can change over time due to factors such as wear and tear, temperature changes, and electrical surges. Regular maintenance and monitoring can help ensure that the resistance remains within the desired range for optimal performance.