Solving the Unsolvable: x^4+4x^3+14x^2=-4x-13

• Thread starter thomasrules
  • Start date
In summary: I'm not sure.)Yes, there is a theorem which states that it is impossible to factor a polynomial of degree > 5.
thomasrules
What are the ROots:

x^4+4x^3+14x^2=-4x-13

ok the 13 really causes a problem because you can't factor that.
So I move the right side to the left and then you can't find a number that fits so that it equals zero so I tried factoring it somehow but can't do it can someone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if you look at the equation then you see that all the terms are positive. Thus, the graph of the function is a parabola which never touches the x-axis. Hence, there are no REAL roots and thus there are four complex roots.

I have no idea how to find those 4 roots, though..

Try to find a solution to [itex](x^2+ax+13)(x^2+bx+1)[/itex]. I chose this form because it automatically fits the first and last terms of your polynomial [itex]x^4+4x^3+14x^2+4x+13[/itex].

where did u pick up that equation from...

Swapnil said:
Well, if you look at the equation then you see that all the terms are positive. Thus, the graph of the function is a parabola which never touches the x-axis. Hence, there are no REAL roots and thus there are four complex roots.

I have no idea how to find those 4 roots, though..

Well, [itex]x^3[/itex] and [itex]x[/itex] are hardly positive when [itex]x<0[/itex]. But you are right, all the roots are complex here (the constant 13 is enough to keep it positive. However if the constant term were a small enough positive number [say, 0.1 instead of 13] you'd have real roots).

Last edited:
help me though :D

I've already helped you in the identical thread in the homework help section :tongue2:

THanks I got the answer my friend mr data. I'm so smart :)

YOu caught me :D

here is another pickle...

Find Real ROots

[tex]y=x^4-4x^2-9x+36[/tex]

AND NO I"M NOT ASKING YOU TO DO MY HOMEWORK, I TRIED THESE DAMN THINGS grrrrr

Last edited:

If you split the polynomial into [itex](ax^2+bx+c)(dx^2+ex+f)[/itex] and simlify, you'l have a simple system that will tell you what the coefficints need to be. In fact, you can see that a and d in this example are 1, since x^4 appears with coefficient 1. Then you have

[tex]x^4-4x^2-9x+36=(x^2+ax+b)(x^2+cx+d)=x^4+(a+c)x^3+(a+c+ac)x^2+(ad+bc)x+bd[/tex]

Set each coefficient equal to the known coefficients:

[tex]a+c=0[/tex]
[tex]a+c+ac=-4[/tex]
[tex]ad+bc=-9[/tex]
[tex]bd=36[/tex]

and solve.

CRGreathouse said:
[tex]x^4-4x^2-9x+36=(x^2+ax+b)(x^2+cx+d)=x^4+(a+c)x^3+(a+c+ac)x^2+(ad+bc)x+bd[/tex]

The x^2 coefficient is off.

CRGreathouse said:

If you split the polynomial into [itex](ax^2+bx+c)(dx^2+ex+f)[/itex] and simlify, you'l have a simple system that will tell you what the coefficints need to be. In fact, you can see that a and d in this example are 1, since x^4 appears with coefficient 1. Then you have

Set each coefficient equal to the known coefficients:

[tex]a+c=0[/tex]
[tex]a+c+ac=-4[/tex]
[tex]ad+bc=-9[/tex]
[tex]bd=36[/tex]

and solve.
Would this trick always work for any 4th degree polynomial? 'Cause if it does then it would be extremely helpful, because I always cry like a baby whenever I am asked to find the roots of a 4th degree by hand...:cry:

Swapnil said:
Would this trick always work for any 4th degree polynomial? 'Cause if it does then it would be extremely helpful ,because I cry whenever I am asked to find the roots of a 4th degree by hand...:cry:

Yes, always. You can't assume the x^2 coefficients are 1 unless the coefficient of x^4 is 1, though. (You can diide through to make this true, although youll have to multiply it back in the end.)

shmoe said:
The x^2 coefficient is off.

Sorry. :blushing: I wish I could claim that was "just so Thomas would do the work himself", but I actually just goofed. In any case, I'm sure thomasrules can work out the correct coefficient himself.

yes thanks guys, lol u think I'm taking advantage?

K though I wasn't taught that formula so...yea...

must be another way

Since we are on the topic of factoring and finding roots, I have a question. What ways are there to factor a polynomial which is greater than 2nd degree? I know that you can use grouping or use the rational root theorem to find all the possible rational roots and then use synthetic division to see if any of those are the root. Are there any other ways (which don't involve the use of computers or sucessive approximations)?

Also, isn't there a theorem that makes it impossible to factor a polynomial of degree > 5 or something like that?? (I think I have heard it someplace).

1. How do you solve the equation x^4+4x^3+14x^2=-4x-13?

To solve this equation, you can use the methods of factoring, graphing, or using the quadratic formula. However, none of these methods will work for this specific equation because it is a quartic equation, meaning it has a degree of 4 and cannot be factored easily. We will need to use a combination of algebraic techniques to solve it.

2. Can this equation be solved using only algebraic methods?

Yes, it is possible to solve this equation using only algebraic methods. As mentioned before, it cannot be solved using simple factoring or the quadratic formula, but we can use techniques such as synthetic division, long division, and substitution to find the roots of the equation.

3. How many solutions does this equation have?

A quartic equation can have a maximum of 4 solutions, but it is possible for some of the solutions to be complex numbers. In the case of this equation, it is possible to have 4 real solutions or 2 real solutions and 2 complex solutions.

4. Is there a specific method or strategy for solving quartic equations?

There is no one specific method or strategy for solving quartic equations, as it depends on the specific equation and its factors. However, some common techniques include grouping, substitution, and using the Rational Root Theorem.

5. Are there any shortcuts or tricks for solving this equation more easily?

Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts or tricks for solving quartic equations. They require a combination of algebraic techniques and patience to find the solutions. It is important to carefully factor and simplify the equation before attempting to solve it, and to check your answers for extraneous solutions.