How to Determine Velocities for Rolling Objects on an Inclined Plane?

In summary, the problem involves a cylinder and a sphere, both with equal radius and rolling without slipping down an incline with height of 2 meters. The mass of the cylinder is 2.0 kg and the mass of the sphere is 4.0 kg. Using the equations for kinetic energy and rolling without slipping, the attempt at a solution involved applying conservation of mechanical energy to determine velocity. However, this was incorrect as the energy due to the motion of the center of mass was not taken into account. Frictional forces do not affect the work done in this case.
Granger

Homework Statement

Side by side on the top of an incline plan with height=2 meters a cylinder (Ic= MR^2/2) and a sphere (Ie=2MR^2/5) with equal radius, that come down to the base, rolling without slipping. Mass of the cylinder = 2.0 kg; Mass of a sphere=4.0 kg.

Homework Equations

$$K_r= 1/2 I \omega ^2$$
For rolling without slipping $$v=\omega R$$

The Attempt at a Solution

At first I thought this was a pretty linear problem.
Applying both equations to both the sphere and the cylinder:

$$K= 1/4 M_c v_c^2$$
$$K= 1/5 M_e v_e^2$$

Than I applied conservation of mechanical energy to determine velocity. However this is not correct since we don't know if there is a friction force (in fact we find out in the next question that it has).
So how should I proceed in this case to determine the velocities?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot about the energy due to the motion of the centre of mass.

The frictional force does no work since the objects are rolling without slipping.

Edit: You have also not stated what the actual question is ...

I realized I was understanding the concept wrongly. Even though the ball is not slipping the center of mass moves so it has a kinetic energy associated, right?
It has nothing to do with the ball slipping.
Thanks!

Granger said:
I realized I was understanding the concept wrongly. Even though the ball is not slipping the center of mass moves so it has a kinetic energy associated, right?
Yes. In general the total kinetic energy can be written as the energy related to the motion of the centre of mass and an additional piece due to the rotation (using the moment of inertia relative to the centre of mass).

Granger said:
It has nothing to do with the ball slipping.
If the ball was slipping you would have to worry about frictional forces (unless specified that friction can be neglected). In order for the ball to roll, there needs to be friction, but it will not perform any work if the ball rolls without slipping.

Likes Granger

1. What is rotational inertia and how is it different from linear inertia?

Rotational inertia, also known as moment of inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is different from linear inertia, which measures an object's resistance to changes in its linear motion.

2. How is rotational inertia calculated?

Rotational inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation. Mathematically, it is represented as I = mr^2, where I is the rotational inertia, m is the mass, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect an object's rotational inertia?

The rotational inertia of an object depends on its mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation. Objects with a larger mass or a greater distance from the axis of rotation will have a higher rotational inertia.

4. How does rotational inertia affect an object's motion?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, an object's rotational acceleration is directly proportional to the torque applied to it and inversely proportional to its rotational inertia. This means that objects with a higher rotational inertia will require more torque to achieve the same rotational acceleration as objects with a lower rotational inertia.

5. What are some real-life examples of rotational inertia?

Some examples of rotational inertia in everyday life include a spinning top, a rolling ball, and a spinning figure skater. These objects all have a tendency to maintain their rotational motion due to their rotational inertia.