What is the minimum size of a mirror for a person to see their whole image?

• Thread starter rambo5330
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mirror
In summary, the question asks for the minimum size of a flat vertical mirror that a person 178 cm tall can see their whole image in. The suggestion is to use a ray diagram to determine this. The solution involves making sure that all required light rays pass through the mirror by drawing a stick-figure person and tracing the paths of the rays to see where they bounce off the mirror.
rambo5330

Homework Statement

Quick question I can visualise but not determine mathematically..
The question in my text says:
Determine the MINIMUM size of a flat vertical mirror that a person 178 cm can see his whole image. It suggest that a ray diagram will help.

The Attempt at a Solution

well I could tell that the mirror should be less than the total 178 cm.. but even with the use of a ray diagram i keep getting a 1 to 1 thing going on... if object height equals 178cm and image height equals 178cm...my only thoughts are with the use of a ray diagram i guess there must be some critical for the reflected rays i should be looking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent and classic question.

In your ray diagram, don't worry about the size of the image (per se). The mirror has to be big enough so that all of the required light rays pass through the mirror.

Maybe, try drawing a stick-figure person, in front of a flat mirror. Draw the rays so that the person can see their feet and the top of their head (from their eyes--of course). Where do those rays bounce off of the mirror?

What factors determine the size of a mirror?

The size of a mirror is determined by the available space, the purpose of the mirror, the surrounding decor, and personal preference.

How do I measure for a mirror?

To measure for a mirror, use a tape measure to determine the width and height of the space where the mirror will be placed. Make sure to account for any obstructions or fixtures that may affect the mirror's placement.

What is the ideal size for a bathroom mirror?

The ideal size for a bathroom mirror is usually determined by the width of the vanity or sink it will be placed above. As a general rule, the mirror should be no wider than the vanity and at least 4-6 inches shorter in height.

How do I choose the right size mirror for a room?

When choosing the right size mirror for a room, consider the size and layout of the room, as well as the surrounding decor. A larger mirror can make a room appear more spacious, while a smaller mirror can add a decorative touch.

Can I cut a mirror to a specific size?

Yes, it is possible to cut a mirror to a specific size, but it is recommended to have it done by a professional to ensure it is done safely and accurately.