Determine the change in internal energy of boiling water

In summary, the change in internal energy of 1 kg of water at 100 degrees C when it is fully boiled is 54.6 mols of steam at 100 degrees C, or 18g/mol.
cowgiljl
Determine the change in internal energy of 1 kg of water at 100 degrees C when it is fully boiled. Once boiled this volume of water changes to 1671 Liters of steam at 100 degrees C Assume the pressure remains constantat 1 atm

things i know
1 L =1E-3 m3
1atm = 1.013E5 N/m2
1 L = 1000 cm3 = 1E-3 m3
formulsa used
Q=mLv = 1kg*2.26E6 J/k Q=2260000 J
W = -P(Vsteam-Vwater) = (1.013E5)*[(1.670 m^3) = - 169272 J

change in U = Q+W
2260000-169272
U = 2090728 J

are these correct?

Now i have not took chenistry yet but it wants to know how many moles of water were converted to steam
I have 2 different answers
1) 54.6 mols using n = PV / RT= 1.013E5*1670 / 8.31*373.15
or
2)18g/mol using the back of the book periodic table (molar mass)
H2O = 1+1(of hydrogen)+16 (oxygen)
which is right if somebody can help me befor 300pm today Please
thanks joe

Physics news on Phys.org

Originally posted by cowgiljl
Determine the change in internal energy of 1 kg of water at 100 degrees C when it is fully boiled. Once boiled this volume of water changes to 1671 Liters of steam at 100 degrees C Assume the pressure remains constantat 1 atm

things i know
1 L =1E-3 m3
1atm = 1.013E5 N/m2
1 L = 1000 cm3 = 1E-3 m3
formulsa used
Q=mLv = 1kg*2.26E6 J/k Q=2260000 J
W = -P(Vsteam-Vwater) = (1.013E5)*[(1.670 m^3) = - 169272 J

change in U = Q+W
2260000-169272
U = 2090728 J

are these correct?

I haven't checked the numbers, but the procedure is right.

Now i have not took chenistry yet but it wants to know how many moles of water were converted to steam
I have 2 different answers
1) 54.6 mols using n = PV / RT= 1.013E5*1670 / 8.31*373.15
or
2)18g/mol using the back of the book periodic table (molar mass)
H2O = 1+1(of hydrogen)+16 (oxygen)
which is right

The "54.6 mols" and "18g/mol" aren't compatible quantities. The first tells you how many moles you have and the second tells you the mass of a mole.

if somebody can help me befor 300pm today Please
thanks joe

Sorry I was late.

Thanks a lot for the reply, at least i am starting to get a grasp on this subject. And doing better in the class

Thanks again Tom

joe

What is the change in internal energy of boiling water?

The change in internal energy of boiling water refers to the amount of energy that is needed to raise the temperature of the water from its initial state to its boiling point. This includes both the increase in kinetic energy of the water molecules and the energy needed to overcome the intermolecular forces holding the water molecules together.

What factors affect the change in internal energy of boiling water?

There are several factors that can affect the change in internal energy of boiling water, including the initial temperature of the water, the atmospheric pressure, and the specific heat capacity of the water. These factors determine the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of the water to its boiling point.

How is the change in internal energy of boiling water calculated?

The change in internal energy of boiling water can be calculated using the equation ΔU = mCΔT, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, m is the mass of the water, C is the specific heat capacity of water, and ΔT is the change in temperature. This equation takes into account the factors that affect the change in internal energy.

What is the relationship between the change in internal energy and the specific heat capacity of water?

The specific heat capacity of water, denoted by C, is the amount of energy needed to raise the temperature of 1 gram of water by 1 degree Celsius. The change in internal energy, denoted by ΔU, is directly proportional to the specific heat capacity of water. This means that the greater the specific heat capacity, the more energy is needed to cause a change in internal energy.

Why is it important to determine the change in internal energy of boiling water?

Determining the change in internal energy of boiling water is important for understanding the thermodynamics of the boiling process. It also allows us to calculate the amount of energy required for processes such as cooking, heating, and steam generation. In addition, the change in internal energy is a fundamental concept in the study of thermodynamics and is used in various scientific and engineering applications.