Determine the charge density on either plate (capacitor)

In summary, the conversation discusses determining the charge density on a parallel plate capacitor and applying Gauss's law to find the electric field. It is noted that the field between the two plates is exactly twice the field due to a thin sheet of charge, and this is because the capacitor can be viewed as two sheets of charge with fields that add up. The conversation also addresses the difference between the field close to a sheet of charge and that between two plates, and how the charge distribution differs in a parallel plate capacitor. Lastly, the process of authorizing attachments and understanding the flux of charge is also mentioned.
mr_coffee
Hello everyone...
I'm suppose to determine the charge density on either plate. I attached a file which shows the diagram of what I'm talking about. I understand there is no field inside the conducting plate, and the only area penetrated by the field lines is the surface A' projtecting into the space between the plates. I appplied Gauss's law to the left plate...
d = delta.

EoEA = q
EoEA' = dA'
E = d/Eo

I understand up to this point...then they say, Notice that the field between the two plates in this example is exactly twice the field due to a thin sheet of charge. Now I'm lost... why is it exactly twice? Then they say...

E = E1 + E2 = d/[2Eo] + d/[2Eo] = d/Eo;

Why is it d/[2Eo] and not d/Eo ? Also why is there 2 Electrical fields? Thanks.

Attachments

• 212.jpg
    212.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 1,124
Physics news on Phys.org
EoEA = q
EoEA' = dA'
E = d/Eo

This is the electric field on both sides of the plate .

Till someone approves your attachment. I assume that you are told to "find electric field" due to single charged sheet , now when you take a square/circular Gaussian surface inside the sheet in the form of a cylinder , you will get [itex]\frac {d}{2 E_O}[/itex] and not [itex]\frac {d}{E_O}[/itex] because [itex]\frac {d}{E_O}[/itex] is the electric field on both sides of the plate but the electric field for only one side is [itex]\frac {d}{2 E_O}[/itex] . Now when you keep two plates face-to-face , the electric fields due to both simply add , and if the two plates are identical, then net electric field in the space between them simply becomes twice.

BJ

mr_coffee said:
I'm suppose to determine the charge density on either plate. I attached a file which shows the diagram of what I'm talking about. I understand there is no field inside the conducting plate, and the only area penetrated by the field lines is the surface A' projtecting into the space between the plates. I appplied Gauss's law to the left plate...
d = delta.

EoEA = q
EoEA' = dA'
E = d/Eo
So far, so good. Realize that this is the total field between the plates. (And that you are assuming the system is in equilibrium.)

I understand up to this point...then they say, Notice that the field between the two plates in this example is exactly twice the field due to a thin sheet of charge. Now I'm lost... why is it exactly twice?
Because you can picture a capacitor as two sheets of charge, each with its own field. Since one sheet is positive and the other negative, the fields add up in the middle between the plates (and cancel outside the plates).
Then they say...

E = E1 + E2 = d/[2Eo] + d/[2Eo] = d/Eo;

Why is it d/[2Eo] and not d/Eo ? Also why is there 2 Electrical fields?
The field close to an sheet of charge is d/[2Eo]. If you have two sheets of charge (which you do in a capacitor) the field in between the plates is the sum of both field contributions.

Why is the field close to a sheet of charge equal to d/[2Eo], not d/Eo? Apply Gauss's law to that model and see. This time there is no conductor, so the field x area = 2EA (not just EA). (It's tricky.)

Note that when you applied Gauss's law to one side of the capacitor, you were finding the total field between the plates. (If there were no second plate, the surface charge would have been distributed equally on both sides of that conducting plate. Thus the charge density would only have been half. But in a parallel plate capacitor, the charge is all on the inner surfaces of the plates.)

Thanks for the explanation guys! So when I post a picture it has to get authorized before anyone can see it? Does it usually take long?

I think, the easy way to understande this is that when we consider a sheet of charge the flux from the charge is on either side of the sheet but in case of a capacitor due to electrostatic induction a -Q charge is indueced on the inner side of the other plate and the whole flux is on the inner side of the plate and the field is 2 times.

1. What is charge density?

Charge density refers to the measure of electric charge per unit volume or per unit area on a surface. It is typically represented by the symbol ρ and is measured in coulombs per cubic meter (C/m³) or coulombs per square meter (C/m²).

2. How is the charge density determined on a capacitor plate?

The charge density on a capacitor plate can be determined by dividing the amount of charge on the plate by its surface area. This can be calculated using the formula ρ = Q/A, where ρ is the charge density, Q is the charge on the plate, and A is the surface area of the plate.

3. What factors affect the charge density on a capacitor plate?

The charge density on a capacitor plate is affected by the amount of charge placed on the plate, the size and shape of the plate, and the distance between the plates. It is also influenced by the dielectric material between the plates, as different materials have different abilities to store charge.

4. How does the charge density affect the capacitance of a capacitor?

The charge density on a capacitor plate is directly proportional to the capacitance of the capacitor. This means that as the charge density increases, the capacitance also increases. This relationship is expressed by the formula C = εA/d, where C is the capacitance, ε is the permittivity of the dielectric material, A is the surface area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. Can the charge density on a capacitor plate be changed?

Yes, the charge density on a capacitor plate can be changed by adjusting the amount of charge on the plate or by altering the size, shape, or distance between the plates. The type of dielectric material used between the plates can also affect the charge density.