Determine the charge on each and voltage across each.

In summary, when two identical capacitors are connected in parallel, each acquires a charge Q0 when connected to a source voltage V0. When a dielectric with a constant K=3.2 is inserted into one of the capacitors, the new equivalent capacitance is 4.2 times the initial capacitance. This results in a decrease in voltage across both capacitors, with each capacitor having a voltage of V0/4.2. The total charge on each capacitor remains the same, but the voltage decreases due to the increase in equivalent capacitance.
negat1ve

Homework Statement

Two identical capacitors are connected in parallel. Each acquires a charge Q0 when connected to source voltage V0. The voltage source is the dissconnected and a dielectric(K=3.2) is inserted to one of the capacitors. Determine the charge on each and voltage across each.

Homework Equations

Given from problem:
C10 = C20
Q10 = Q20
V10 = V20 = V0

The Attempt at a Solution

I have an example in my txtbook showing a capacitor is that charged by a battery. The battery is then disconnected and a dielectric inserted. The result is that the charge is held constant(because there is nowhere for it to go) and that the voltage drops by a factor of K.
V = V0/K
This is throwing me off because do i want to say the same thing about the voltage of the capacitor in my problem. They are in parallel so that would mean that both capacitors would have their voltages dropped by this factor of K? If this is true i have the problem solved but something doesn't feel right about it. Anyone know how to handle this problem already? Thanks for your time as always!

Physics news on Phys.org

Consider then what the new equivalent capacitance is and proceed accordingly.

I said that the dielectric is added to C2. So the new capacitance for C2 is
C2 = KC20 and C1 is still
C1 = C10

Using the voltage drop result from my textbook, if i apply this i get that
V2 = V1 = V0/K

I also know that the equivalent charge Qeq of the initial setup with the battery connected will be the same Qeq after beacuse the the charge is conserved.
Qeq0 = Q10 + Q20 = Q1 + Q2 = Qeq

Is this information correct?

negat1ve said:
I said that the dielectric is added to C2. So the new capacitance for C2 is
C2 = KC20 and C1 is still
C1 = C10

Using the voltage drop result from my textbook, if i apply this i get that
V2 = V1 = V0/K

I also know that the equivalent charge Qeq of the initial setup with the battery connected will be the same Qeq after beacuse the the charge is conserved.
Qeq0 = Q10 + Q20 = Q1 + Q2 = Qeq

Is this information correct?

Not quite. Certainly the total charge doesn't change. But what about the Voltage?

For instance what is your new equivalent capacitance? And what has that done to the voltage over both capacitors, and hence the charge distribution on each?

LowlyPion said:
Not quite. Certainly the total charge doesn't change. But what about the Voltage?

For instance what is your new equivalent capacitance? And what has that done to the voltage over both capacitors, and hence the charge distribution on each?

My new equivalent capacitance is
Ceq = C1 + C2
= C10 + K*C20

So the total capacitance has increased.

And Ceq = Qeq / Veq
where Qeq = Q1 + Q2 stays the same
so Veq = V1 = V2 has to decrease to balance out the equation.

I want to say that Q1 = CV = C10*V0/k = Q10/k
So for Qeq to stay the same
Q2 would have to equal
Q2 = Q20(3/2)K
yes?

negat1ve said:
My new equivalent capacitance is
Ceq = C1 + C2
= C10 + K*C20

So the total capacitance has increased.

And Ceq = Qeq / Veq
where Qeq = Q1 + Q2 stays the same
so Veq = V1 = V2 has to decrease to balance out the equation.

I want to say that Q1 = CV = C10*V0/k = Q10/k
So for Qeq to stay the same
Q2 would have to equal
Q2 = Q20(3/2)K
yes?

Isn't your new equivalent capacitance 4.2*C?

Previously you had Ceq = C + C
But after dialectric it's Ceq = C + 3.2*C = 4.2*C

Q = V*C

Means that Vo*2*C = V*4.2*C

That means V = 2*Vo/4.2

LowlyPion said:
Isn't your new equivalent capacitance 4.2*C?

Previously you had Ceq = C + C
But after dialectric it's Ceq = C + 3.2*C = 4.2*C

Q = V*C

Means that Vo*2*C = V*4.2*C

That means V = 2*Vo/4.2

wow I am an idiot haha that makes so much sense and is so much easier than thinking about it the way i was. thanks for the help!

1. What is the charge on an object?

The charge on an object is a measure of the amount of electrical energy it possesses. It can be either positive or negative, and is measured in units of coulombs (C).

2. How is the charge on an object determined?

The charge on an object is determined by the number of excess or deficient electrons it has. When an object gains or loses electrons, its charge changes accordingly.

3. What is the unit of voltage?

The unit of voltage is volts (V). It is a measure of the potential difference between two points in an electrical circuit.

4. How is the voltage across an object calculated?

The voltage across an object can be calculated using Ohm's Law, which states that voltage equals current multiplied by resistance (V=IR).

5. What is the relationship between charge and voltage?

Charge and voltage are directly proportional, meaning that as the charge on an object increases, so does the voltage across it. This relationship is described by the equation Q=CV, where Q is charge, C is capacitance, and V is voltage.