Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Determine the cost of using 2 different electrical devices over the course of a month

1. Oct 10, 2010 #1
    Determine the cost of using 2 different electrical devices over the course of a month.

- An item like a cellphone or something else that plugs in the wall.

Use $.20 per kilowatt-hour as your base energy cost.

I have no idea how to start this as this is a project we have to do as a prerequisite for a college course. I have been searching online and it looks like the only way to calculate this is to buy a $50 dollar Kill-o-watt. It would be great if one of you guys can help me with this without having to go out and buy something.

Also my teacher said estimating is fine too.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 12, 2010 #2
    Re: Determine the cost of using 2 different electrical devices over the course of a m

Figure out how much power your phone battery holds; or in general the device you're interested in uses. Then estimate how often you have to recharge your batter (or how often you use the device), this tells you how much power it uses over the course of a month.... etc etc

Does that help?

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook