Calculate Cost of Using 2 Electrical Devices/Month

In summary, to determine the cost of using 2 different electrical devices over the course of a month, use a base energy cost of $.20 per kilowatt-hour. If you do not have access to a Kill-o-watt, you can estimate the power usage of your device by figuring out how much power it holds and how often it needs to be recharged or used. This will give you an estimate of how much power it uses over the course of a month.
NITROX0018
Determine the cost of using 2 different electrical devices over the course of a month.

- An item like a cellphone or something else that plugs in the wall.

Use $.20 per kilowatt-hour as your base energy cost.

I have no idea how to start this as this is a project we have to do as a prerequisite for a college course. I have been searching online and it looks like the only way to calculate this is to buy a $50 dollar Kill-o-watt. It would be great if one of you guys can help me with this without having to go out and buy something.

Also my teacher said estimating is fine too.

Physics news on Phys.org

Figure out how much power your phone battery holds; or in general the device you're interested in uses. Then estimate how often you have to recharge your batter (or how often you use the device), this tells you how much power it uses over the course of a month... etc etc

Does that help?

1. How do you calculate the cost of using two electrical devices in a month?

To calculate the cost, you will need to know the wattage of each device and the number of hours it is used in a month. Multiply the wattage by the number of hours to get the total watt-hours used. Then, divide by 1000 to convert to kilowatt-hours (kWh). Finally, multiply the kWh by your electricity rate to get the total cost.

2. What is the average cost of using two electrical devices in a month?

The average cost will depend on the specific wattage and usage of each device, as well as your electricity rate. On average, a household spends about $50-$100 per month on electricity, but this can vary greatly.

3. Can I estimate the cost without knowing the exact wattage of the devices?

It is recommended to have the exact wattage of the devices to get an accurate estimation of the cost. However, you can use an average wattage for similar devices if you do not have the exact wattage.

4. How can I reduce the cost of using two electrical devices in a month?

To reduce the cost, you can try using energy-efficient devices or switching to LED light bulbs. You can also make a habit of unplugging devices when not in use and using power strips to easily turn off multiple devices at once.

5. Are there any hidden costs to consider when calculating the cost of using two electrical devices in a month?

In addition to the electricity rate, there may be additional fees or taxes on your electricity bill. It's important to read your bill carefully and factor in any additional costs when calculating the total cost of using two electrical devices in a month.