Determine the distance of this point from the center of the Earth.

In summary, the Apollo astronauts reached a point where the Moon's gravitational pull became stronger than the Earth's, which is approximately 3.46 x 10^8 meters from the center of the Earth. The acceleration due to the Earth's gravitation at this point is 0.98769. There is also a second possible solution at 4.31 x 10^8 meters.
Sheneron

Homework Statement

On the way to the moon the apollo astronauts reached a point where the Moon's gravitational pull became stronger than the Earth's.
A) Determine the distance of this point from the center of the Earth.
B)What is the acceleration due to the Earth's gravitation at this point?

Homework Equations

[tex]F_G = \frac{Gm_1m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to solve this but am not sure if I am doing it right:
d= distance from Earth to moon
h= height above the earth
[tex]g_{earth} = \frac{GM_E}{h^2}[/tex]
[tex]g_{moon} = \frac{GM_M}{(d-h)^2}[/tex]

set the equations equal to each other and solve for h

[tex]d^2 - 2dh + h^2 = \frac{M_m}{M_E}h^2[/tex]

is this right so far?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your good so far with the exception that h is the distance from the centre of the earth, not the height above the Earth's surface.

I think i have it. I am solving it as a quadratic, so how do I know which of the two answers it is?

Sheneron said:
I think i have it. I am solving it as a quadratic, so how do I know which of the two answers it is?
Are both solutions physically possible?

indeed, very. Would you like me to post what I got?

Sheneron said:
indeed, very. Would you like me to post what I got?
If you post what you've got I'll have a good look at it.

M_e = 5.98 x 10^24
M_m = 7.36 x 10^22
d= 3.84 x 10^8

[tex]0.98769h^2 - 7.68 x 10^8h - 1.475 x 10^{17} = 0[/tex]

I put that all in the quadratic formula.. I can't seem to get it to work on here but this is what I got:

7.68 x 10^8 +/- 8.42 x 10 ^7 all over 2(0.98769)

Last edited:
hootenanny? anybody?

Try calculating the actual distances for both roots. Would you encounter both of them on a trip between the Earth and the moon?

They are both between the Earth and the moon.

Check again. Based on your equations so far, I get:

[tex]h_1 = 3.46 \cdot 10^8 \ \mathrm{m}[/tex]
[tex]d = 3.84 \cdot 10^8 \ \mathrm{m}[/tex]
[tex]h_2 = 4.31 \cdot 10^8 \ \mathrm{m}[/tex]

Oooo. Thanks for the help. I got it now.

What does "determine the distance of this point from the center of the Earth" mean?

This phrase refers to the measurement of the distance between a specific point on the Earth's surface and the center of the Earth.

How is the distance of a point from the center of the Earth calculated?

The distance is typically calculated using the Pythagorean theorem, which takes into account the Earth's radius and the coordinates of the point. Various methods, such as satellite measurements or triangulation, can also be used to determine the distance.

Why is it important to determine the distance of a point from the center of the Earth?

Knowing the distance from the center of the Earth can provide valuable information for geology, seismology, and other fields of Earth science. It can also aid in navigation and mapping.

What unit of measurement is used for the distance of a point from the center of the Earth?

The most common unit of measurement for this distance is kilometers (km), although meters (m) and miles (mi) are also used. In scientific calculations, the distance may also be expressed in astronomical units (AU) or Earth radii (R⊕).

Can the distance of a point from the center of the Earth change?

Yes, the distance can change due to various factors such as tectonic plate movement, erosion, and changes in the Earth's rotation. However, these changes are usually very small and may not be noticeable in our lifetimes.